Trend Micro Deep Discovery Analyzer Review

Helped us to improve our security levels and protects our internal network from any external threats

What is our primary use case?

We use the onsite version, not cloud. Our primary use case is for intrusion detection, including threats, malware, and basically anything that might be a threat. Traffic that is intercepted from emails going outbound or inbound is also analyzed.

What is most valuable?

Generally speaking, it just gives us a broad understanding of exactly what kind of threats occur. The submission point, analyzing point, and virtualization are within the environment that it supports. It helped us to improve our security levels and protect our internal network from any threats outside.

What needs improvement?

We haven't dealt with any issues in either the product itself or the graphical interface so far. I haven't seen anything that requires improvement as of now. I believe maybe with time we will see something because we have only been using this product for six months. With time, we might be able to identify certain aspects that we face in the future that could give us a better understanding of what requires improvement. As of now, however, I don't see that there is an improvement needed for the product as it is.

We have multiple other products that really have a non-friendly user interface. Deep Discovery compared to them is much easier. Trend Micro has also given us a quick course on how to use it. I might say I love them now. I think the interface itself is quite friendly to deal with adding, changing, or troubleshooting itself.

There are certain aspects of flexibility in the policies that should be added to Deep Discovery. At times, we are limited to a certain policy or certain changes that can be added or configured. I believe that certain infrastructures or networks require a little bit more flexibility to make changes throughout the full software, enabling users or admins to cover all the requirements needed.

I've been using this solution for about six months.

Deep Discovery is very stable to use.

I have no idea of its scaling potential because we have only used it for six months. I believe that we could grow with this solution as much as needed because we are not a small bank. We are not a small institute. We're growing day by day. As of now, we haven't had that kind of issue so I don't believe there will be a problem of scale.

I'm not a hundred percent sure how many users we have. I would say maybe over 50. The main users are for network and security, but we have also the infrastructure engineers and specialists that use it as well.

We deal with the support here in Egypt. There is a team from Trend Micro that covers Egypt. They supported us from day one, from implementation to troubleshooting of any issues or problems that we faced throughout our time dealing with Trend Micro. We have been using them not just for Deep Discovery, but for a couple of years on different products that we introduced into our network. They have been more than helpful in regards to support and helping us understand their products better.

I believe it was straightforward to set up because we haven't had something similar to it. There was no interference, but everything just went more smoothly than expected from day one of implementation by IT. We faced some issues in between in regards to certain aspects of sandboxing for the exchange. That was because of certain ways that software was interrupting emails from somewhere inside. They helped customize some hotfixes and inserted methods into the program just for us to be able to support it. There were issues that we faced in between, but the support team from Trend Micro did their best to customize, make changes, and support us to help us fix these issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it based on how I have seen our network improve and the better insights we got on our traffic.

The only thing is that everything requires a little bit of studying to check the infrastructure and requirements. All in all, the variety of products provided by Trend Micro will give you a huge step up into checking and defending yourself from any threats. That includes threat prevention, as well as analyzing emails and endpoints in general. You have a full package of products to support every single aspect of the network.

I would give it an eight of ten, just because there's a little bit of improvement that can be done for the software. We also had some issues that required customization. I'll just give it an eight for the time being.