Trend Micro Deep Security Review

There are several valuable features -- it's agentless, each module can be installed on its own, and it provides a single pane of glass for managing it.

Valuable Features

There are several features I find valuable, including the fact that it's agentless, each module can be installed on its own, it provides a single pane of glass for managing it, its integration with VMWare (NSX), and items are auto-added as soon as they're discovered. Ease of use is a big plus because of the foregoing items.

Improvements to My Organization

We were having some AV issues around 2010 and the incumbent product had gotten big and clunky and was interfering with several desktops performance. When the solution let 3 viruses in over a few weeks I deemed it no longer suitable and we chose Trend Micro Deep Security as the replacement.

Right from the start it was easy: the installation routine very kindly sought out and removed the previous solution, greatly reducing deployment time (we implemented OfficeScan first) and DS uses auto discovery. Updates are automatic and run smoothly in off hours (except for pattern updates of course).

The Trend Micro solution was stable after a few tweaks and was instrumental in stopping an incursion of ransom ware that could have brought the company to its knees. Instead we had only a few file directories encrypted and we were able to restore those in about a day. We spend way less time on AV issues since implementing Trend Micro Deep Security.

Room for Improvement

There are several areas for improvement:

• The ability to manage agent-based AV (i.e. integrate Officescan into Deep Security) for desktops and laptops;
  • Streamline the install (specifically configuring of external product requirements i.e. the VMware side); and
  • Better integration with Control Manager (had a few issues with it not recognizing the DS server).

Use of Solution

I've used it for over five years.

Deployment went surprisingly smoothly. Mind you we had a Trend Micro tech (Trevor) do the initial config.

We've had no issues with stability.

We've had no issues with scalability, but we're not a big shop (under 200 VM’s).

Trend Micro's service has always been one of its strong points. I don’t particularly like the online case management tool, but response has always been good. Local support is stellar (Vancouver, Canada area) – both reps and support techs.

Technical support is excellent. A Trend Micro tech was always available to me locally and this helped reduce the time-to-resolution of the few issues that came up.

Yes, we used Symantec. We found it was getting a larger footprint in memory and was starting to cause performance issues. When it failed to stop viruses 3 times in 3 weeks, I had enough. On all counts, Trend Micro is a superior product with superior people, and I have never regretted the switch.

It was a fairly standard install as we were not a large data centre. Trevor (then Martin) – both local Trend Micro techs - took about a day to get it all settled down. Over the next month, I made several support calls but mostly because I did not yet have the experience with it. After a month or so, I no longer needed the support.

Implementation Team

The install was done by a Trend Micro tech (Trevor) and later supported by Martin Sima. Both are excellent fellows.

ROI

I'm not exactly sure what our ROI is as we did not quantify it. But I can say that supporting our users got a whole lot easier and we had a significant reduction in time spent on AV issues at the desktop. Management was easier (auto add new VM’s, etc.) and Control Manager provided reports for my bosses.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Trend Micro now does certificates and this made getting certs easy and fast. Pricing was competitive, although I have not looked at pricing recently. Licensing was also easy as each additional module could be licensed separately.

Other Solutions Considered

I was pretty aware of the market in 2010. I knew Symantec was not doing the job anymore and I had used Trend Micro in a previous life and knew the OfficeScan product. I also considered Sophos as they have a large local presence. I do not ever want McAfee again (bad experience back in the ‘90s). And I didn’t trust the Russian product.

Other Advice

Make friends with your local rep and support tech – they can help you over the gotchas and issues that invariably arise with a new implementation. There is lots of online training also from Trend Micro. And classroom courses are available; I took the Deep Security course in Ottawa the first year we had it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The vendor was Trend Micro direct. And I have a very good relationship with TM: I was invited by TM to speak on a panel at VMWorld 2014 about DS integration with VMWare (NSX).
1 visitor found this review helpful