Trend Micro Deep Security Review

It's agile, flexible, and performs multiple tasks simultaneously. We're able to do firewalls, IPS, and log inspections with it.

Valuable Features

The comprehensive agility is the most valuable feature. It's very agile and flexible, and performs multiple tasks simultaneously very effectively. We're able to do firewalls, IPS, and log inspections with it.

Improvements to My Organization

It's very difficult for an enterprise, especially one of our size, to patch effectively at all times. The IPS helped us with this. Oftentimes, there's a delay between discovery of malicious threats and production of patches. The IPS allows us to virtually protect against those threats before true patches can be applied to our inputs.

Room for Improvement

Deep Security is a fantastic product but there are certain little details that could be tweaked or improved to make it a ten.

VMware and Trend Micro are pursuing a strategy to develop a light version of NSX that will allow us to run it agentlessly.

They also need to offer support for Apple machines. Almost every vendor I've seen, they're all junk. For Trend Micro to take a step either with their office-end product or with Deep Security to actually protect Macs, that would be a huge game-changer for iOS.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for three years.

We've had no issues with deployment.

Overall, I'd say the product is very stable, both agentless and agent-based. Agentless is less stable due to the nature of how many moving parts have to be working and in place for the whole system to work effectively. However, moving forward with the relationship with VMware, agentless protection is not going to be possible without VMware NSX setup with the environment.

Our organization has 1,500 servers and 18,000 endpoints -- and it's growing.

Trend Micro has excellent technical support.

Starting off with agentless, it was complex. With agentless, you have a lot of moving parts and they all have to be in-sync and working together for the whole system to work. It adds a level of complexity with vShield, the DSVA's, and all the different moving parts.

Other Advice

Come up with a solid working plan before you even think about actually implementing anything. The foundation is all in the preparation, the education and the project management.

No product is perfect. Deep Security is a fantastic product but there are certain little details, I think, that could be tweaked or improved. Do your homework, engage Trend Micro, get trained, get all the knowledge you can and come up with a solid working plan before you even think about actually implementing anything.