Trend Micro Deep Security Review

We can extend the security of the datacenter to cloud using API integration in a single management console.

Valuable Features

Virtual Patching (part of Integrity Monitoring module) is the most valuable because it shields vulnerabilities in critical systems until an actual patch is available and deployed reducing the downtime, and protecting unpatchable systems extending the life of legacy systems and applications. Also, the possibility to know which files have been changed in the host machine.

The possibility to extend the security of the datacenter to cloud using API integration to AWS, vCloud, Azure and others in a single management console is also valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

In the past, we had to search for a window of time to patch the OS and some applications and it took a long time up a virtual machine and make it available for our needs because its update process was very slow. Now, we don’t have to wait for this process because when we need a VM we can just boot one up and run and patch the VM at an opportune time.

We use it to help a large payment company in Brazil to process millions of credit card transactions a day, and others company with similar challenges.

Room for Improvement

It needs real-time anti-malware support for Amazon Linux and an option that allows you to classify and mark reports using tags like Top Secret or Confidential which are missing in Deep Security 9.5 but are in v9.6, which was released in January. We're still homologating 9.6 version with this new feature.

An improvement on its Control Manager integration is also needed because it's insufficient for individual and granular management. Control Manager is a console that integrates all Trend Micro products.

Use of Solution

I've been using it since it was first released in 2010 and have used it in two different ways. At my own company, it's used to protect about 40 VMs on two hosts using VMware. It's also used for installing and supporting 36 clients over 250 servers and millions of transactions per day.

I'm one of the founders of company and I've been working as a technician from the beginning, my role was design, deployment planning and pre-sales support until the end of the last year with our support team. Now, I'm dedicating my time to executing our vision as CEO.

We have had no issues deploying it, especially when following the guides.

It has been stable in our deployments.

We have no issues scaling it when we need to.

Trend Micro has a Channel Partner ecosystem highly prepared to solve any questions and they work very closely with Trend Micro support services to deliver the best experience to their customers.

We did not have anything in place previously.

The deployment depends on how you set up your VMware environment and what features you’re using. Following the steps described in the Administrator and Deployment guides helps you to avoid any complications.

Implementation Team

The implementation team was formed with inside analysts and vendor specialists. It's strongly recommended to use someone with the necessary skills to work with VMware and have someone familiar with infrastructure and security analysis.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Start with a small group of servers and the most important modules for your company. Depending on the way you buy the product, you have the benefit of renewing discounts up to 50% in the next year.

Other Advice

It's a hybrid platform with about five modules that will help you to manage and secure your datacenter and cloud initiative with multi-platform support. To get the same solution, you may have to contract at least four different vendors.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Trend Micro Gold Partner from Brazil. We were the first company to sell this product in Latin America six years ago.
2 visitors found this review helpful
2 Comments
Major Account Manager at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employeesVendor

The partner is very important for the best implementations. Deep Security is very flexible with many options.

26 April 16
Jusiah NoahReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

especially automation saves time costs incured on operations

10 January 17