Trend Micro Mobile Security Review

Stable, seamless, simple, and has good sandbox technology

What is our primary use case?

We have had requests from some of our clients that have a bigger mobile environment, where the clients bring their own devices and connect it to the network, and they need access to an encrypted file. Most of the time they use an endpoint encryption mobile device itself and they want to control access for those users. Mostly it is related to the mobile device protection itself which would include the upload and anti-virus. It has to have encryption if there any files being downloaded from the network itself. These are most of the use-cases that we have worked on.

What needs improvement?

From a technical point of view, I don't have much to give in terms of feedback on what could be improved. But there have been some users who have been complaining about the interface being unfriendly and when the application software is installed on their phone making their mobile slow, a little bit laggy. It should be taking less processing. It just depends on the mobile phone.

Apart from this, I haven't seen many use-cases of it being deployed on a large scale. We haven't had the experience of it deployed on a very large scale so I'm not sure how it would perform in that environment, so I can't say anything about this.

I have been using Trend Micro Mobile Security for almost a year and a half or so.

Stability hasn't been an issue because we've had some cases where we had to integrate Micro and another product. It was seamless, no issues, everything works smoothly. Even if it had to work with Trend Micro modules. It was very simple, very straightforward, nothing complex about it.

Customer service has been excellent. Trend Micro has very good deals and support - also in the Middle East, which I know because I am located here in the Middle East. We have most of our clients here in the Middle East. They have a huge presence here, and support has never been an issue for us or for our clients. So support has been good.

Pricing can vary from situation to situation. But to be honest, I don't have much exposure to the prices because I'm mostly looking into the technical part. So I can't give you much about the prices here.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, if I speak specifically about the endpoint protection, I would rate it an eight, because I haven't had much experience working on their other products. But from the perspective of their endpoint protection, their sandbox technology is very nice. So I think it would be eight, overall.

I would strongly want Micro to work on their other products as well, such as Mobile Device Security, because we have had some difficulties introducing this product to other clients who have larger environments. They are not very comfortable opting for Trend Micro, even for IoT security. We have had some clients who are looking for IoT security but they weren't very comfortable going for Trend Micro and are choosing other products because of the use-cases and their strong backing. I believe there are some products which Trend Micro can include besides only endpoint protection, which they are good at it. But on the other hand, their mobile device IOT could be bigger. If they can improve on those, I believe I can give it a nine out of ten, without thinking twice.