Trend Micro ServerProtect Review

Realtime intelligent end-to-end detection and protection from malware in a highly versatile product

What is our primary use case?

I am actually a reseller for Trend Micro. I do not use the ServerProtect product for my environment, I only resell the company's products. Our clients use it for multiple purposes on-demand, like using it as an IPS (Intrusion Prevention System), for Virtual Batching, or for application control. Those are only some of the use cases. There are many and they apply as per the needs of the particular client.

What is most valuable?

There is some feature in ServerProtect called Virtual Batching, which helps to protect other servers in a system from threats or exploits. That is one of the most useful features. Then there is an anti-malware component with behavioral analysis and machine learning. That is also a very good feature of the product that provides a high-level of intelligent security.

What needs improvement?

From a technical perspective, I think ServerProtect is one of the best security products on the market. It is a mature product that already has most features that any product of this type has. What can be improved is that the cost is very high. So I feel that the cost should be reduced, even if it is justified.

One thing that I would like to see as an additional feature is just a custom sandbox within the solution itself. So instead of having to go and use an additional sandbox for testing, you could have a custom sandbox integrated directly into the solution.

I have been using Trend Micro ServerProtect for just under three years.

It is a very good and very stable product. A lot of people use it, so it is very well tested under load in various environments and under different conditions.

ServerProtect can scale very well. There are no real challenges in scaling the solution. Our clients who use Trend Micro Server Protect, are usually enterprise businesses rather than small or medium-sized businesses. The client base includes large enterprise companies as well as government entities.

I have contacted the technical support and the technical support is good. I have not been disappointed in my interactions with them.

Our company does the initial setup and the deployment process for all of our clients. The process is pretty straightforward and we have quite a lot of experience. The deployment time depends on the number of servers. Usually, it will take from between two to five days to complete a deployment if it is for about one-hundred servers or one-hundred VM's. The number of days and amount of time depends on the number of features that you want to configure and the downtime that can be achieved to complete the work. It depends on a lot of factors; there is no fixed number of days. But it is just a difference in the amount of time spent. More complicated installations are still straightforward and it is not really more complicated to do, it is just more time-consuming.

We usually have only one technician involved in the deployment process. It also takes one person from the customer's side as well. So really you can say two people or a maximum of three people, approximately to complete the process.

We are also doing maintenance after deployment for our clients. That will usually only require one person for the maintenance of one project.

I am not sure that I can give any exact advice as to the pricing because it will be different for each customer and for each solution. There are multiple variations of the product and the cost varies according to that. There really is no fixed cost because there are a lot of components that clients can choose from to include in their installations and, in the end, the cost varies based on which components a company selects.

It all depends on the number of features you want on a particular server. If you want only anti-malware, then the cost will be calculated based on the anti-malware only. If you want to add threat prevention and Virtual Batching, then you will have additional costs. If you want to add to that with application control and a firewall, then again the cost will be still more. The cost varies according to the features that you select on the server you are protecting.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I have for people considering this product as a solution is that I would recommend to go ahead and work with this product. Do an evaluation based on your setup and see if it suits your environment. It is definitely a good product to work with. Take time to choose the components you need based on your evaluations to keep the costs lower.

On a scale from one to ten when one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a nine-out-of-ten. Nothing is really perfect.

Hybrid Cloud
More Trend Micro ServerProtect reviews from users
...who compared it with CylancePROTECT
Find out what your peers are saying about Trend Micro, CrowdStrike, SentinelOne and others in Endpoint Protection (EPP) for Business. Updated: February 2021.
465,836 professionals have used our research since 2012.