Trend Micro Smart Protection Review

Straightforward to use with good licensing options and doesn't consume too many resources

What is most valuable?

The software itself is very light. It doesn't consume many resources on the clients.

The solution is pretty straightforward.

The licensing is very good.

As a Japanese company, it doesn't have any restrictions on usage in our country.

What needs improvement?

We found an issue on the server-side. Sometimes, it slows down the servers if you install it on the SQL.

In some cases, the version on the server-side, when you install it on the server, doesn't update when the updates are available. For example, if the virus definitions are getting updated every two days, even though you push the updates to the servers from the management console of Trend Micro, it doesn't update the servers successfully.

On the client-side, on the computers, desktops, and laptops, when you do the restart, the new virus definition appears. We are now working with technical support to find out a way to upgrade or use a patch or do some modifications to get the servers updated frequently. Even though we push twice a week from the management console to the servers, still those definitions are not getting updated. We have quite a number of servers - almost 90 server installations - therefore, it's very hard to restart them just to get the virus definition updated. That's one of our biggest problems at the moment with Trend Micro.

Of course, when you do restart the server, it fetches the updates from the management server but that's not the way you can perfect the server. It should be noted that servers sometimes will not get used for a month or two. That's a challenge for us, keeping them updated. On top of that, the current vulnerabilities that you have up there on the Windows clients and the number of attacks registered, have increased.

It would be ideal if the solution could offer more control of computers from the management console in terms of, maybe, dealing with file-sharing. You should be able to block computers from sharing when they are on an external network. That's one of the things I was hoping they could catch in the new version that was released in July, but we didn't get that option.

In Symantec, for example, you can block file-sharing on your clients so they cannot share any data with anybody in the network if they connect to an external network. It makes things much safer.

I've been using the solution for three years now.

We haven't had any issues with the stability of the product. It doesn't crash, or freeze and there aren't bugs. It's actually very smart. We haven't had any issues with any of our clients or on our computers.

We have scaled the solution slightly. The initial report was for 300 clients. We added on 100 more clients, and there was no problem. There was no performance degradation on the management console, and it was running fine. Therefore, I can say that it can scale pretty well.

We'll likely further increase usage. We were planning a review. We are actually in process of getting a quotation to get it upgraded to increase our license, in order to cover all of our distributors and partners. There are small companies, but they're not running any security protection on their clients. So every now and then they will have an infected machine that will infect their ERP system and the sales on their system will be impacted. Therefore, on behalf of them, we are purchasing the licenses for all their clients to ensure business continuity on their side. We are looking at almost 100 additional licenses.

In our region, we get support from India. There are actually some problems with some latency in getting the support we need. We have to wait until Monday to get the support from them as, in our time zone, we work Saturday until Wednesday. The weekends are Thursdays and Fridays. However, they work from Monday to Friday. Therefore, we will have only three days of office hours overlap. If you want to get support from them, you need to follow their availability. It is also not around the clock. It's only business days in India.

I have experience with Symantec Endpoint as well. I use both solutions.

Initially, there was a challenge where we had to change our server and do the installation, however, that wasn't due to the functionality of Trend Micro. When you change the server you need to have all the clients' requirements related to the parameters of the new server. We did that through group policies and running small scripts in the stackable scripts of the group policy. That way, from the Windows side, certain clients get redirected to the new server.

However, when we wanted to upgrade it to the latest client version in July, we had to do them all manually. It pushes the installation to the client when it comes to implementers. Yet, in terms of changing the version, upgrading the version, or the agent on the client-side, sometimes you need to do that manually. We have 400 clients, and we needed to load them one-by-one. We had to manually remove the old version and install the new version.

If I'm not mistaken, for three years, for 400 licenses, we paid nearly 15,000 euros. We don't have any additional costs that we have to pay on top of that.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Trend Micro.

Trend Micro may be planning to launch a new product called Apex or Alex in January. However, right now, we are using the most current version of the solution which was launched in July. This version is compatible with Windows 10.

We actually waited for this release to happen due to the fact that the previous versions of Trend Micro were not compatible with the latest Windows so we couldn't upgrade our Windows clients. We waited nearly three months, or maybe two months, so we would be able to upgrade our clients' Windows builds to the latest version, and ensure everything was compatible.

We have a management server that manages the licenses and the number of computers and the deployment and management of computers.

It companies are considering the solution, it's a good idea to do a virtual benchmark. I wasn't sure that Trend Micro was a good solution, so I ran a benchmark. I had prior experience with Symantec Endpoint Protection, and also Panda software- the Panda Security Cloud Version. BI found that Trend Micro was very reliable in terms of when we did the benchmark on the software, on the licenses, on the management side, and the admin solution overhead.

Considering the trade sanctions and all the complications we have in Iran, I found Trend Micro to be compatible with those sanctions as well, as it's a Japanese company and they are not using any technology developed in U.S. It was a sanction-compliant solution as well.

In terms of the cost, you could buy the license for three years or five years. It was almost hassle-free to get the new party license for three years. You don't need to pay for any license renewal every year.

It's very straightforward and usable. In terms of administration, the liability is better than Panda, Sophos, and Symantec. With Symantec, it's a U.S. product, therefore we couldn't use it in Iran anyway.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. However, with the embargo, there isn't as much competition in the market right now. We don't have too many options.

More Trend Micro Smart Protection reviews from users
...who compared it with Symantec Norton 360 [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Smart Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
474,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.