Trend Micro Smart Protection Review

Offers a lot of plugins and good compatibility with excellent scanning

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint protection including antivirus and malware protection. We also use it for mail scanning and as a proxy for web protection. The most important cases are those, but we also use it for mobile device management, etc.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a lot of plugins or options. The endpoint protection for mail protection and also website scanning is also very good.

We are very happy with the mail scanning, as well as the anti-spam and antivirus scanning of incoming mail.

We haven't had any compatibility issues. It's quite stable and it's a good tool in preventing actual viruses or malware.

What needs improvement?

The design of management tools needs improvement. They are improving it constantly, but there's still room for improvement. The integration part is quite good, but it could be even better.

The solution should improve its mobile management solution.

Instability is very, very rare. It's quite stable. We are very happy about that. It doesn't have many bugs.

In some cases, stability depends on the version of Windows we are using. However, they update the solution quite often and we are very, very pleased with that.

We are not a big company, so we can't speak to enterprise-level scaling. We did acquire additional licenses and that wasn't a problem. We just installed a new license key and increased the number of licenses needed to support, and for us, for our company size, it's seamless.

If we have some questions or issues, we have support contracts with external partners, but we don't use them that much.

We don't contact technical support often, but we have contacted them in the past. We had a small issue once and they were quite quick to respond and offered us a ready-made solution. It was a great experience.

We've had some side solutions in the past, but in this company, we are mostly using this product. We don't mix much with other solutions.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It's not really complex, though it depends on the tool you use. The solution guides you quite well while installing it and the manuals are comprehensive.

In terms of deployment, we didn't deploy the entire suite at once but in phases. It was quick, however, as we are not a big organization. For us, it was straightforward and we didn't have any issues.

Our company has an in-house IT team and we handled nearly everything. For a few items, we contacted our partners, but mostly we managed the implementation by ourselves.

We pay about 6,000 Euros per year for an annual license. We don't pay for any extra services or add-ons above that.

We are constantly looking at other possible solutions, but for now, with the options that this solution offers, and the competitive pricing, we are satisfied.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using the solution for about ten years, although it was under a different name originally. We mostly use the on-premises deployment model but do have a few cloud deployments as well.

I'd advise others to try it. There are trial versions you can try if you are curious. We tested it and we were able to check for ourselves if it suited our needs. There are a lot of solutions, and quite a lot of options and for us, but this one is the perfect one for us.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

More Trend Micro Smart Protection reviews from users