Trend Micro Smart Protection Review

Good documentation and excellent technical support but needs to have an easier deployment

What is our primary use case?

There were a couple of primary use cases for us. One of the most frequent was to deploy an agent onto user devices, including laptops and workstations. We were also to employ agents on mobile. It was used to detect viruses on everything from computers to USBs in our organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution gives users peace of mind that, form an endpoint perspective, they are protected once it is installed.

What is most valuable?

The centralized dashboard from which we can see all activities and get reports is very good. We can also do all configurations from a single panel of a management console. It's helpful.

The solution overall is very helpful and very reliable. We appreciate the reliability of the system.

We've compared it to another Trend Micro product that is free, and this solution catches a lot more viruses than the free version.

When users click on links accidentally, Trend Micro is able to contain and block viruses to ensure nothing happens to an organization's system. It protects not only the client's users but also the main core infrastructure.

The customer service from the product is great. There's lots of hands-on navigation support, and you call in or be on a conference line with the support when you need them. They will go over everything related to any upgrades or deployments.

The documentation is very thorough and robust. It makes a lengthy deployment a bit easier.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve the deployment so it aligns with the latest Microsoft patches and upgrades. It makes the deployment process lengthy and painful.

The solution needs to add more AI. It already has some AI and machine learning built in, but they could be more advanced and offer deeper learning capabilities.

I had been using the solution for just over one year. I used it from September 2018 until about November 2019.

The product is a very stable solution. However, it could be more compatible with major vendors, especially Microsoft.

I'm not sure I can talk to the scalability of the product. Our organization had over 1,000 people, but I had not witnessed our organization try to scale it.

Typically the solution is handled by users directly from the IT department.

Technical support is fantastic, especially in relation to deployment, where we originally ran into a bit of trouble in relation to Microsoft patches. They stayed with us on the phone and helped us power through the implementation by sharing their knowledge and advice.

Their service is also very quick. They have less than a 24-hour turnaround.

I did previously use a different solution. It was a long time ago, so I'm unsure as to what the company did use back then.

The setup was pretty straightforward.

The deployment, in terms of the upgrade process, isn't as simple. If Microsoft, for example, patches things, you have to pause or disable the software before the patch and upgrade is applied before you can enable the agent. It would be helpful if this process was easier and if the solution would ultimately be more compatible with Microsoft's upgrades. It requires a lot of the user's attention.

We have an implementation strategy to move from on-premises to the cloud in the near future.

We required three people for maintenance.

We worked directly with a reseller, but more from a license procurement perspective. The assistance we received for the initial setup was more directly from Trend Micro.

The licensing is on a yearly basis and I believe our organization paid about $2,000/year. However, it's been a while since I looked at the pricing and we no longer use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice to other users, because there are so many products out there, I would caution anyone to do a thorough POC. It would be helpful. Once a company is hands-on with it, they will begin to understand a lot about the product. Demos are very limiting. Currently, I'm looking at and trying out other solutions as we've moved away from this one.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

More Trend Micro Smart Protection reviews from users