Trend Micro Smart Protection Review

Easy to deploy with proactive sandboxing and built-in DLP capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we are pitching this product to our enterprise clients. These include organizations in the financial and banking sector, as well as other industries. We are focusing on endpoint protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It sure did. We see major improvement in terms of slowness of machines / computers and blocking more ransomware than any others i have seen.

What is most valuable?

Trend Micro has several features that help to distinguish it from other vendors, especially Kaspersky. These include:

• There is a choice of deployment between cloud-based and on-premises.
  • Endpoint protection includes DLP capabilities.
  • The sandboxing is more proactive and more reliable than any of the other endpoint protection solutions. It helps to thwart ransomware attacks.

What needs improvement?

This product is not very simple and in fact, kind of hard for some people to understand. After you start working with it, you get the hang of it.

It would be helpful to have vulnerability scanning and patching built-in. It is available as a separate product and including it would be a good selling point. However, if it is very heavy when running on the end-users computers then it is going to backfire.

I started working with Trend Micro Smart Protection three or four months ago.

This is not a new product and it is very stable, although one of our engineers found a bug, which was reported to Trend Micro.

This is a scalable solution. There are some enterprise-level clients with 6,000 or 8,000 licenses. In my experience, I have not seen any endpoint products that are not scalable.

We have approximately 140 clients who are using Trend Micro products. These are products with a security purpose that is very specific and I am not sure how many are using the Smart Protection Complete solution.

I have not personally contacted technical support.

Prior to this, I was very committed to Kaspersky. In the past ten years, 70% of the endpoint protection market has been captured by Kaspersky. Before that, it was Symantec. I also have experience with solutions from Bitdefender, McAfee, and Sophos.

I think that Trend Micro is already quite strong against Symantec and Sophos. With respect to Kaspersky, they do not have and endpoint DLP solution, it does not have a choice of deployment model, and the sandboxing is not as proactive. That said, I feel that Kaspersky is the biggest competitor. It is a more mature product in Pakistan and I have different clients who are using each of these solutions. Overall, they are not much different in terms of features.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

It takes a much shorter time to deploy compared to any other product that I have worked with. As an example, I have one client who purchased 150 licenses. The choice was made to deploy it to the cloud. From start to finish, with the configuration and fine-tuning, it took between four and five hours.

I would estimate that the deployment takes between 30 and 40 minutes unless you face some kind of unprecedented difficulty in your network that is not related to the endpoint. The length of time also varies depending on how big the network is and how ideal the situation is. Sometimes, for example, you need end-users to turn off their computers.

Well since we are the vendors and implemented and deployed on client side many times, i would say you definitely required highest level of expertise.

In a longer term, you definitely get your money worth spending on Trend Micro product.

Licensing module is more or less as any other AV. However, they are on little expensive side compare to other products but i believe it is worth it because of the features and quality of the product.

Yes, i have evaluated kaspersky, Symantec and bit defender.

What other advice do I have?

There was a big gap in the availability of this product in Pakistan from 2009 to 2017. There was simply no presence of Trend Micro. In 2017, they hired people and they started a local distributor that included a technical team. With the backend support here, it has strengthened the market.

When we demonstrate this solution to potential clients, we conduct the demo on the cloud. However, we leave the option to them whether they want an on-premises or cloud-based deployment. Organizations and banks in the financial sector in Pakistan generally do not use cloud-based solutions at this time.

That said, my advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to use a cloud-based deployment. It is much easier to administer because you have access to the dashboard from anywhere at any time. Also, if it happens that they do require technical support then it is easier to give access to the vendor's support team. Otherwise, it will take longer to resolve the issue.

Nothing is perfect and there is always room for improvement.

Hybrid Cloud