Tricentis qTest Review

Puts my entire team in a central testing system and results are automatically sent to tickets in JIRA

What is our primary use case?

We use it for centralized management of our test cases and test requirements.

We get pretty specific with it. We have a lot of scenarios and some pretty complicated business logic we have to test.

How has it helped my organization?

What has improved is that I've got the whole team now actively in one, central system, developing their test cases and recording the results. The results are automatically captured and sent over to the tickets in JIRA to show that the work has been completed and everything has passed.

I wouldn't say it solves issues, but it definitely gives me a quick way to say, "Yeah, we did test that." So when issues are presented, I can quickly go in and look, as the manager of the group, and say, "Yeah we did test that and it passed."

We have also seen a reduction in critical defects, by half now, over the last three months. And overall, the has solution increased testing efficiency by at least 50 percent.

What is most valuable?

The JIRA integration is really important to us because it allows our business analysts to see test results inside the JIRA ticket and that we have met the definition of "done," and have made sure we tested to the requirements of the story.

The integration with JIRA works great. We had to get support involved to help increase the number of connections because we had a lot of tickets, but it's very seamless. Once you have it set up it works really well.

What needs improvement?

The installation of the software could be streamlined. We pay for the on-premise support and they help us a lot, but the installation is something which is very command-line oriented. I don't know if there's a way to get the installation process to be less command-line oriented, but I would like to see that happen.

We've been using Tricentis for six months.

The stability has been great. It's very stable and we have had no issues.

We're such a small group, we only have 19 user licenses so we don't ever really push the limits on it. The users are all testers and we're using it daily.

I recently learned that my business analysts and some of the program managers need access to it, so I have to look into get more licensing. At the time, we thought it was strictly for testers. We didn't realize everybody could use it and benefit from it.

I'm the configuration manager and the test branch chief and I support my application management division chief who has the developers and the business analysts. They're the ones who put it all in motion. We have about 60 people who do the whole application development and software development lifecycle.

Technical support has been awesome. There is no doubt in my mind that it's been very good.

We were using Rational ClearCase before and we switched because it's antiquated and outdated.

We did Excel spreadsheets and saved stuff on network drives. We use the unified functional testing as our automated stuff but it was all very manual. This is way better than what we were doing before.

Getting the software installed was pretty complex. It was all command line. They removed the MongoDB, which was good, in 9.6.

But once it was installed, the configuration of getting the users in there was pretty straightforward and the integration for JIRA was straightforward. Setting up the projects was straightforward. I had to fish around a little bit to understand the different ways I could set up project admins and the working groups. And I'm working on who are the people who will have read-only access.

We spent about a month on the deployment.

As part of the implementation strategy, I got my strong, federal staff involved to look at it and understand how we would use the integration with our planning, and how we would expect people to use it. We considered what kind of training we would put together for them. We had the training from Tricentis and we went through that, but then we had our own in-house training, based on our business practices, to try to show how we use the tool.

Adoption of the tool is really easy. The tool is intuitive enough. It was easy to get people into it.

It was all internal. In the government, we don't have a lot of money.

We're paying $19,000 a year right now for qTest, with 19 licenses. All the on-premise support is bundled into that.

We were looking at Tricentis Tosca, when qTest was still QASymphony, before it became Tricentis qTest. Those were really the two we were looking at. We weren't looking to replace our UFT solution because, to me, it's something we already purchased. But we were looking to expand, for our testers; looking for easier ways for them to get their work done. Not all of them are coders.

QASymphony met the immediate needs, which were that we needed a central place to manage all our test cases. We needed to get away from the Excel spreadsheets. We needed to get away from storing stuff on network drives. This solved a long-time problem of stuff being scattered everywhere.

The con with qTest is that it has plugins to run UFT automation, or it creates Selenium scripts for us. But Tricentis Tosca is the one that I am looking to download a demo of. I've got some links here to evaluate how it would help my testers, who are really good at manual testing, to start creating automated tests, using that software suite. And how do we integrate it with qTest, ultimately?

What other advice do I have?

qTest is something that the whole software development team can utilize. It's not just for testers. You would probably get your main licenses for the testers, but for the rest of the team, who are in and out of the tool throughout the day, you can get a set of concurrent licenses for them.

The biggest thing I've learned from using this solution is that we should have done it sooner.

I've used Insights a little bit to help me with managing my people and it looks pretty cool, but that's about as far as I've used it. And in terms of the solution's reporting enabling test team members to research errors from the run results, we're haven't got quite that far yet. As we get more information in there, that will be the next step for us to start looking at, so that they can start researching errors. We're really working on the quality to where, hopefully, we're releasing good quality and no production issues.

We've got the UFT automation set up on the server. We just haven't finished putting in the scripts and seeing how to use the test execution part of qTest to run that, and how the results are put into qTest. That's our next step.

Right now, I can say it's an eight out of ten, and that's just because we haven't made it through all the features of the product yet. But we are very happy with what we see so far.