Tricentis Tosca Review
Great tool but I think it will take a few more years to mature & grow

After working on TOSCA for 18 months this is what I think:-

(Note: this is my personal opinion and not that of the company I work for)

There is no such thing as "No Coding skills required". Even TOSCA has some custom vb script files that come with the installation that allow you to do certain automation tasks. Also you can create your own vb script files and associate them to modules within TOSCA for further customisation.

My understanding of test automation is keeping your test scenarios in the centre and wrap your automation tool around it. TOSCA shakes this basic understanding of mine to the core. It's either the TOSCA way or the highway :)

I do not consider myself an expert TOSCA userit makes it easy simply because I do not know how to create custom controls in TOSCA (yet). May be future improvement in HELP files might help here.

The only benefit I have seen is the ease the maintenance of existing test automation scripts. Because the way TOSCA binds the tests with objects, test data sheet and so on when the time comes for maintenance it is really easy.

Concept wise - TOSCA is an great tool. A tool that promises no coding skills required. A tool that talks about moving away from conventional test automation methodology of object driven test automation towards model based test automation. But I think it is still a bit further away from reality and will take a few more years to mature & grow on its own.

2 visitors found this review helpful