Tricentis Tosca Review
Have more time to increase the regression portfolio, decrease long delays with documentation

Valuable Features

Image recognition: It has allowed us to automate a GUI section of our product which involves drawing different topologies.

I’m aware that other tools have this feature, but the whole test suite, it makes it good enough for us not to look for something else.

Improvements to My Organization

No, not in global organization; we are the only ones who are using it in our location (Austria), but in our team, it changed the testing workflow:

Every second week we release a candidate, and from two weeks of hard manual testing, we are testing now only a few days (four to five), the new fixed tickets and running in parallel - the regression. We have more time to increase the regression portfolio and also decrease long delays with documentation.

Room for Improvement

Running the regression – if multiple lists are executed at once or if a list contains 200+ tests, it’s a pain to stop the execution.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for almost four years.

A few times, it just crashed. I didn’t encounter this issue with Tosca 8 and Tosca 9, but the PC was running for days so I cannot blame only Tosca. I assume Windows played its role, too.

No, not so far. We have around 3500+ TCS.

Nice and friendly, however not always coming up with the solution we were expecting. For example, after changing from Tosca 9 to Tosca 10, we were not able to run some test cases for an older tool (it was developed with Java 1.5). The solution from their side was to request a change request even if it worked in the past. In the end, we just downgraded and we are running those test cases with Tosca 9.

Of the tool, yes. Managing to trigger our application was not so straightforward (because of our company access policy). We had to write some batch scripts for it, then it worked fine.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Expensive, but for long-term projects, it is paying back.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, there was an analysis, but I was not part of the company at that time.

Other Advice

It is a good tool, but could be better in some aspects.

It’s relatively easy to set it up and intuitive to create test cases for non-developers. If you come from the development side you will feel some limitations, but I was always able to find a workaround.

1 visitor found this review helpful