Trustwave WebMarshal Review

No support for cloud or large scale

What is our primary use case?

We use WebMarshal primarily for web securities.

How has it helped my organization?

It didn't improve our company. A long time ago it did. Now, however, there are so many other web security products that you can use and WebMarshall doesn't really compete with them.

What is most valuable?

I actually don't like WebMarshal, the only reason we use is because of http and https filtering, but I don't really like anything about WebMarshal.

What needs improvement?

There's no cloud proxy solution. It's purely on-premise, it's a cell inspection, but it doesn't allow any sandboxing. It also doesn't do any tunneling inspection or anything like that.

I would definitely be interested to see an upgrade that supports cloud and doesn't require on-premise infrastructure. The system should be purely cloud-based and include a cloud broker or something like that, which would act as a proxy. That's something I would want to see, but that's a huge deal for WebMarshal to develop. I don't think their infrastructure right now could handle it.

The company has had WebMarshal for the last eight months.

It's not stable because of the scale issues.

It doesn't support scale. I think it can handle 400 concurrent connections at the moment, but we have got about 5,000 users. At any given time we might be hitting at least 2,500 users, so it really doesn't support us at the moment. I don't think it supports enterprise infrastructure very well.

Technical support was not bad. It wasn't the best because we don't manage it internally, but it's been okay.

We used to use FortiGate.

The setup was fairly straightforward. It's just a proxy. It just sits like a mediator or broker, but it's pretty straightforward. That said, I haven't set up anything at my current workplace yet.

Pricing is on a yearly basis. I don't know of any additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

We will be moving away from WebMarshall.

There are better products on the market like Zscaler. My advice depends on what direction the company is heading in and what strategy fits for them. I am very much cloud-focused, so I'll be looking at cloud solutions like ZScaler, Blue Coat, IronPort, etc. Someone looking for cloud definitely shouldn't go with WebMarshal because of all the limitations that they have at the moment.

I would rate this product as three out of ten. It just doesn't fit for us.