Tufin Review

Reduces the time it takes to solve a problem, which reduces the time of an outage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for change audit.

How has it helped my organization?

My team uses it heavily to audit the changes made by junior engineers, going back and figuring out what they messed up, and correcting their mistakes. We generate reports for customer compliance and audits, as well as for regulatory audits.

We use it to generate reports that we are in compliance, but don't necessarily use it to mitigate any compliancy requirements then only to report on them.

What is most valuable?

The historical reporting is the most useful feature that I use the most often.

For what we use it for (change auditing), the visibility works great.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any issues with it, but the reports could be easier to read and more customizable. Also, capturing some of the different versions, and being able to dig through them could be a bit better.

The stability works, for what we've been using it for. The system has been up and running for at least a year and a half without any issues. The only time we do anything with it is when we upgrade it or patch it, but we have never had any performance issues or it falling over.

The way we deployed it is sufficient for what we're using it for. We haven't really had to scale it.

We tend to not have any issues with it, so we don't need to use support very often. For what we are using it for, it does exactly what it is supposed to, and we don't have any issues with it.

We did contact technical support when we had an appliance, then we migrated it over to a VM and it was moving some of the data from the old code format to the new one. We have also had upgrade problems with it randomly breaking on us.

My team has had a pretty good response from the technical support.

We had a bunch of issues with junior engineers causing problems and people not knowing what was changed or what happened. We needed a solution that produced very easy to understand and quantifiable change reports.

We had a home-built solution before Tufin had maintenance issues because it was our own,  and we had support issues with it. It sometimes worked, and sometimes didn't work. Tufin was a very easy shoe-in replacement for that solution.

The setup was pretty straightforward. The documentation was pretty clear in terms of what you had to do. It was just the case of executing it.

We deployed it ourselves.

For our numerous cases where outages had been caused by engineering errors, our ROI is in the ability to quickly go and see what the person did and fix it. Tufin reduced the time it takes to solve a problem, which reduces the time of the outage. It does have a cascading effect, but I can't quantify it to dollar amounts.

It has been a few years since I've looked at anything else.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten mainly because it does everything really well. In general, it still does what it's supposed to do, and we don't have any issues with it.

I would advise someone considering this solution to know exactly what you need before you start the process. Be very thorough, because the devil is in the details and you need to know exactly what you want and need. Then you'll be able to tell which solution is better, and which one gives you the better return on investment.

See it in Action