Tufin Review

Speeds up our review process and assists with compliance

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for firewall compliance reviews.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us to speed up our review process. After we do make a change, we're able to quickly review what has actually changed.

This solution has helped us with compliance because we're able to map out certain firewall rules against compliance requirements, and we're able to write reports to show us exactly what our firewalls look like in those areas.

What is most valuable?

From our perspective, the most valuable features are the compliance and firewall reporting modules. Indirectly, we use Tufin to clean up our firewall policies. We run reports, and then use those reports to drive improvement in the firewall rules. The visibility into the Check Point firewall rules is a lot easier to look at using a Tufin report as opposed to a Check Point report.

This provides good visibility of our firewall rules. Using Check Point is a little cumbersome to get what you need, so with this solution, we’re able to filter through and better get the information.

What needs improvement?

Tufin has a lot of tools for PCI compliance, as well as other modules that support things like SOX, but there is nothing substantial out there for the NERC CIP space. It would be nice to have some automated tools for NERC CIP compliance.

One of the areas that I've had challenges with is making complicated reports. There is an ability to pull in CSVs, but I've struggled to find the format that the CSV should be in.

I could spend hours building out a policy to check the firewall rules, and then the next person comes along and they don't see it because it's stored within a user profile. Consequently, they have to build out the exact same thing for hours instead of just being able to export it, and then import it into their profile.

The stability of this solution is fine. We don't have any issues with it, at least as far as I know.

It seems to be really scalable once you have all of the modules working together. We have a broad array of subgroups that we're working on compliance with, from really small to really large, and it works well with all of them.

I've never had to deal with their technical support.

I was not part of the initial setup of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Using this solution has allowed us to reduce the amount of time we spend making changes by approximately twenty percent.

This solution has a lot of functionality that we aren't using at this point, but it seems to have the flexibility and scalability. The drawback is the lack of integrated NERC CIP.

For anybody researching this or a similar solution, I would always tell them to look at all of the available options, but Tufin does all of the things that we needed it to do.

See how Tufin can simplify your network security management

Find out how automation and orchestration of security policy management can help you increase agility and efficiency, while reducing risks and ensuring compliance and audit readiness. Request a Tufin demo today.