Tufin Review

Allows non-technical people to keep track of firewall rules, but the API needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

My company primarily uses this solution for reporting and enforcing policy. My role has to do with developing applications to allow integration with our other tools.

How has it helped my organization?

When I was using Tufin for analysis, there was a tool that would tell me which rules could be consolidated. It was amazing and helped me to clean up the firewall policies.

We use this solution to automatically check to see if change requests will violate any security policy rules, but I do not have any specific details or examples.

Tufin is the only multi-vendor firewall tool that is available, and it helps to bring everything together and report on what all of the rules are.

This solution helps to ensure that security policy is followed across the network because it is the main tool that non-technical security people use to keep track of firewall rules. Without it, they wouldn't even know where to begin.

What is most valuable?

In my current role, the most valuable features are the API and the accessing. In my previous job, the analysis was my favorite.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see API access into every aspect of Tufin. For example, every feature and everything that's in the database, I would like to have programmatic access to. This would give me the ability to do anything that the product can do but from a script. This way, we are not beholden to the GUI in any way. If an operation requires that somebody click somewhere into the interface, manually, especially if it's just part of many other things that they have to do, then we want to fully automate that.

Some of the manual processes are taking longer because, without the proper API access, there are a lot of tickets coming in. These are from people who need to perform a task, but only a handful of them have access to it. This is because we're too afraid to give access to all of the people who actually need it.

In every instance that I've ever worked with it, it was stable.

I have not dealt with technical support.

In my previous company, I handled the deployment of this solution myself.

Turning on certain options in the solution comes at an additional cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this solution is that if they are a larger company with a lot of money to spend, and they have a heterogeneous network with more than three different firewall vendors, then they absolutely need it. There is no competitor or really anybody who is even close.

For what this product does, it does well. There are, however, things that are missing.

Overall, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

See how Tufin can simplify your network security management

Find out how automation and orchestration of security policy management can help you increase agility and efficiency, while reducing risks and ensuring compliance and audit readiness. Request a Tufin demo today.