Tufin Review

Speeds things up, and makes it easier for the average person to create firewall rules

What is our primary use case?

We use SecureChange for change management, and the SecureTrack component for reporting and the summary.

How has it helped my organization?

We use this solution to clean up firewall policy, although I do not personally do it very often.

The change workflow process is flexible and customizable. We have a couple of custom components, and my colleague was able to put them together in five minutes, so it seems pretty flexible to me.

The solution automatically checks to see if our change request will violate any of our security policy rules. This helps with general risk assessments, and when we transfer data between security zones over certain ports. It really benefits us, as well as the users who submit the rules, because they're not all familiar with all of the rules that are in place.

Implementing this solution has made everything faster. With the introduction of SecureChange, I think it has been easier for the average person to become a firewall rule setter.

Using this solution helps us to meet our compliance mandate. It does this by making everything quicker, which makes it easier to meet our SLAs.

This solution helps to ensure that the security policy is followed across our entire network. It leaves less wiggle room for people to venture out and make exceptions because it does the thinking for us. We follow it's recommendations, so there is less compromise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is reporting.

This solution has helped to reduce the time it takes to make changes. I don't think that we were ever slow, but we can now say that changes are completed within twenty-four hours.

What needs improvement?

I think that the interface could be cleaner, and easier to use. There are some things that I think are varied. Some of the reports, when you try pulling them out, I think that you've got to jump through too many hoops to get the results that you want to find.

I would like to have the ability to view multiple "handled by" names. Right now, it's either one, or we and the customer see nothing. I would like to clean that up because I am part of those phone calls.

I think that with respect to end-user operation, the whole-space users, the communication is lacking.

For the most part, stability is alright. It works well until we do an update and it breaks everything. But, it gets fixed, and it's good again until the next update.

We have not tested scalability because we're set at where we are right now, although that is not to say that we won't be expanding in the future.

Technical support for this solution is really good. They are pretty quick at responding to our tickets. When the update breaks everything, they're pretty quick at sending someone to fix it and bring us back up within a couple of days.

Prior to implementing this solution, we used a home-grown, internal request process. It was very frustrating, across the board.

We used a consultant to assist with our deployment, and we had no problems.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to take the time to learn the product, in and out, right away.

See how Tufin can simplify your network security management

Find out how automation and orchestration of security policy management can help you increase agility and efficiency, while reducing risks and ensuring compliance and audit readiness. Request a Tufin demo today.