Tufin Review

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we're an electric utility. We use it for NERC CIP for validating rules into ESPs, which makes it easier for us to pull out the rules and justifications for auditors.

We are using either Tufin 18-2 or 18-3 and testing 19-2.

As a company, we don't have anything in the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us immensely on the compliance side. We are able to look for overly broad rules. E.g., rules with any-any using the USP to see if we have violations. This was pretty impossible to do before by just looking at the CLI on the firewall and spreadsheets.

We use Tufin to clean up our firewall policies. The biggest use in the last couple of months has been to pull rules out of firewalls rather than putting them in. We're cleaning up and pulling rules out.

We use this solution to automatically check if a change request will violate any security policy rules. Even though we've been using the product for several years, we've just now started rolling out SecureChange, updating our USPs, and building USPs. We are using those to do security checks.

This solution helped us meet our compliance mandates. With the USPs, we can control what is being put in, then we know when violations are occurring ahead of time.

What is most valuable?

The ability to write reports to figure out what ports and services are allowed into specific zones. For instance, we know that there are certain devices which are only allowed to have interactive remote access into an electronic security perimeter (ESP). We've written reports which can tell us if someone inadvertently opened something up that shouldn't have been, then we can pull it out. Now that we are using SecureChange, it can alert us to that fact as the rules are being built, which is huge for us.

The visibility is huge. In order to figure out what was going on previously, we would have to pull stuff out of firewalls and put them in spreadsheets, then do sorts. Now, it's all right there in Tufin. We can write reports to look for what we need, ad hoc searches to find object groups, and know which firewalls are on. This was almost impossible to do previously.

It makes it a whole lot easier for rule clean up because we can find rules that haven't been used. We can find rules that are too broad and pull those out, putting more specific rules in, which could be done before but this cuts the time way down to do it.

What needs improvement?

The change workflow process is getting better. I wish it was a little more customizable. Right now, my biggest issue is that it wants to optimize everything we put in. Sometimes, we need a rule to be more readable, and we want it to go in a specific way. Sometimes, it's difficult to get Tufin to accept that. It wants to optimize and reduce the number of ACLs. On the compliance side, sometimes you just want more ACLs, so it's more readable for an auditor.

I got a sneak peek of a release or two. There are some new features coming out that we could use today. E.g., SecureChange won't allow us to put in more readable ACLs rather than try to compress them. Sometimesm we don't want it to full optimization of a rule set. I would love the ability to tell it, "Thank,s but no thanks. I don't want to optimize this rule. Please put it in the way that I want it." Right now, that's hard to do. It's almost impossible.

It is a very stable product. There have been a few times where we have had to call support and have something fixed. It has happened, but it's very rare.

It seems to scale very well. We have had the same servers in for four years now, and everything's keeping up. We haven't had any issues yet, and we are probably monitoring around 400 firewalls today.

The technical support has been very responsive. If they can't figure it out, they are not afraid to go to Israel, back to the developers, and find an answer to the problem. Typically, within a day or two, they have the answer and we are back up and running. They've been great to work with.

We knew that we had to invest in something which could help us clean up our rule sets.

We took baby steps, so the initial setup was pretty straightforward. We just started with SecureTrack, getting it talking to the firewalls, and initially using it to document justification for rules on our compliance firewalls. We have been doing more with it over the years.

We used Tufin for the deployment.

This solution has helped us reduce the time it takes to make changes. We have been using SecureChange for the last six months, and it has streamedlined the process. We can usually do changes now within two or three days, where sometimes it used to take a week or more.

Engineers are spending less time on manual processes. We can push the changes to the firewalls. The engineers don't have to log onto the firewalls, then cut and paste.

I just wrote a purchase order for it. It is a $150,000 a year.

We looked at three solutions at the time, then chose Tufin. We felt that Tufin was one of the more customizable solutions and had the best price. They came in cheaper than everyone else, and at our company, that means a lot. Thankfully, they were the best. We felt they were best of breed at the time.

What other advice do I have?

Give Tufin a good, hard look. From my experience, it is the best of breed.

Right now, we're focusing the implementation on our NERC CIP firewalls (the compliance stuff). We have some other teams who will be working on the corporate side and certain clean up rules along with the rest of the corporate firewalls. We are not there yet, but we're working on it.

See how Tufin can simplify your network security management

Find out how automation and orchestration of security policy management can help you increase agility and efficiency, while reducing risks and ensuring compliance and audit readiness. Request a Tufin demo today.