Turbonomic Review

It provides us with intelligently-controlled VMs with consistent performance, including identification of over-provisioned VMs so that we can take back resources.

What is most valuable?

It automatically adjusts resource allocations and VM placement to improve utilisation and ensure service delivery. Increased visibility and control has meant higher VM density per host. The 'plan' tab allows for accurate capacity forecasting for upcoming projects.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have intelligently controlled VMs with consistent performance, it has helped us avoid purchase of additional hardware and software through increased utilisation in excess of 90%. It also eliminated configuration and capacity planning guesswork and has even identified where people have over-provisioned VMs so we can take back those resources and use them for other VMs.

What needs improvement?

User Interface can initially seem a bit 'busy', but you get used to that once you learn what it's showing you.

We have used this for 2 years

No, it only took 15 minutes to get up and running!

Initially there were some minor problems in the earlier releases, but these appear to have been overcome and the product has been very stable for at least the past 12 months.

Very good

Excellent, VMTurbo even proactively contact us when new releases come out to ensure we have been able to update ok and to explain the new features of that release.

We used to manually try and work out where we had spare resource using tools like vCenter and NetApp System Manager, we had to move to something more intelligent as it was clear that we had untapped resource available, but we couldn't identify with 100% certainty where it was.

Very straightforward, we powered up the trial VMTurbo virtual appliance, gave it an IP address, pointed it at vCenter and the NetApp clusters and started using the product straight away.

In-house

Our ROI was less than 12 months as we would otherwise have needed to purchase additional hardware and VMware licenses during that time period, as we were previously adding at least 4 CPUs worth each year.

2 years later we still haven't had to purchase any more, even though we have had a significant increase in the total number of VMs running in the environment.

It's very reasonable when you compare it against the cost of buying more VMware hosts, licenses and potentially storage. Don't forget to include the ongoing support costs for the additional hardware and VMware licenses as those really rack up over the 3-5 year lifespan of a server!

We looked at vCenter Operations Manager, but the effort involved just to stand up a PoC environment was significantly more than with VMTurbo, so after a web demo of vCOps we decided not to proceed with that option.

What other advice do I have?

Give the demo version a go, you might be surprised by the results!

1 visitor found this review helpful