Turbonomic Review

It forced us to organize and standardize our storage environment - making smaller, generic datastores.

What is most valuable?

Automating the resource balancing. It let's us know when we need another host to keep things running smooth and fast.

How has it helped my organization?

It forced us to organize and standardize our storage environment - making smaller, generic datastores that had an unintended benefit of making the backups faster.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be a little cleaner and navigation a little easier. (note: this has improved in version upgrades since I first wrote this review!)

3 years.

No. We did have to clean up our storage before allowing it to make automatic decisions on storage commodities.

Never.

The folks at Turbonomic love what they do and it shines through. I have never had a bad encounter with anyone there. They are very responsive to any needs we have and have even called to do a health check-up!

Excellent. I needed help one time upgrading to the latest version and installing our own branding and the tech walked me through both things in 10 minutes!

No. We looked at several and no one is in their league!

We had no problems and the installation folks were there just in case they were needed.

In-house.

You could take the number of hours per tech that no longer has to administer and babysit machines and resources, add the money saved by maximizing the hardware you have to its fullest potential, then add the labor saved in forecasting and the product pays for itself in the first year easily!

It is worth every penny you spend on it. Also, you can "deny" it from seeing hosts and environments that you don't want managed (ie DEV).

Yes. I remember Foglight being a long distant second.

What other advice do I have?

I like to say "Set it and forget it". It has never made a bad decision. It obeys all rules you have in place in VMware. The reporting is fantastic and the forecasting has made the budgeting nightmare much easier in this area.

Like the rest of us, you will be hesitant to turn on "automagic" provisioning but you will be wondering why it took you so long to do so shortly after!

More Turbonomic reviews from users