Turbonomic Review

DRS is the closest "solution" we previously used, we switched because we needed a solution for real automation, forecasting, and reporting.

What is most valuable?

Obviously, automation has been the most valuable feature - it's what initially attracted us and likely our main reason for purchase. However, its reporting and planning features are also very useful and contribute greatly to ROI.

How has it helped my organization?

Not having to regularly monitor our VM environments' resources has been a definite improvement over our previous time-intensive and often reactive processes.

What needs improvement?

Built-in, context-sensitive 'Help' would be useful at times, instead of having to search through the User Guide or Community for assistance - or just for those times when you're curious about the function of a particular option/feature.

We've had Turbonomic deployed for about 7 months now - plus the initial trial period.

Deployment was very straightforward. Transition from trial to fully licensed was just as simple.

Turbonomic has been very stable. Honestly, forget it's even running... until we need to look at a report or have growth/expansion plans for our environment.

Scalability has not been an issue. In fact, we included some additional socket licenses in our initial acquisition as we anticipated adding additional physical hosts to our environment.

Their customer service is top notch - quick to respond and very helpful. Plus, with the Green Circle Community there is the added bonus of a support group (of sorts).

I cannot speak to their technical support, as we've really not had any issues, and initial implementation was a breeze.

Other than manually monitoring and manipulating resources, DRS (which really doesn't even compare) is the closest "solution" we previously used.

Reasons for switching? Real automation, forecasting, and reporting.

As previously stated, setup was very straightforward: Deploy VM, configure connections and targets, and Automate!

We worked directly with Turbonomic - although it was called VMTurbo at the time. Obviously, their expertise was second to none.

ROI can sometimes be quite subjective. However, with Turbonomic it’s genuinely evident from the get-go. First, the automation working toward maximum
optimization, efficiency, and uptime. Second, the capacity and future planning capabilities offer the ability to generate the "what-if" scenarios using your own current environment as the model to build on.

Their per-socket perpetual licensing works very well for us. Pricing was aggressive, as compared to other options we had.

More Turbonomic reviews from users
2 Comments

author avatarChris Childerhose
ExpertTop 5Real User

Nice review. Being able to allow Turbonomic to conduct VM moves for us has been great to keep the cluster balanced. Help updates would be good I agree and we will see what happens when they come out with the HTML5 client next year.

author avatarThang Le Toan (Victory Lee) (Robusta Technology & Training)

I agree with your comments, We have met the client is running is using the DRS and provides connectivity services for E-commerce Web Service and Cloud Gaming for Mobile. What they especially used subjective virtualization, control quality of service, they just used the device to report, send an email to admin. But virtualization practical need automated reporting, process analysis reports of the targets, the must troubleshoot crawl fast enough to the report. vSOM need 30 days, VEEAMOne need 48 hours, and troubleshoot it any time. also with us VMTubor takes 30 minutes to collect and analyze to a report forecasting, targeting decision to fix or adjust. A great software.