Turbonomic Review

Best features for my needs are the autonomic scheduling, capacity planning, and right sizing capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Turbonomic's best features for my needs are the autonomic scheduling, capacity planning, and right sizing capabilities. It is like VMware DRS and SDRS on steroids, predicting VM contention issues before they happen and migrating workloads accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

I no longer have to worry about workload management, and when it comes time to plan for expansion it is no longer a hardware guessing game. Turbonomic can tell you exactly what hardware you will need based on the proposed workload. You can even input your own desired hardware configs to get more precise details on the report.

What needs improvement?

Turbonomic's current UI is coded in Flash though they have stated an HTML5 version is coming soon.

5 years.

No issues with deployment, however my original virtual appliance was so old that support had to forklift upgrade the database this year to their newer version so I could get the latest code. Was very simple and painless.

None.

None so far. My environment doesn't task the scalability meter though.

10/10

10/10

I previously looked at vCenter Operations Manager (previous name of vRealize Ops Manager) and it was not nearly as feature rich at Turbonomic at the time.

Not at all, deploy it, give it an IP or DHCP then connect to vCenter. 2-3 hours later you will start to see recommendations.

In-house, implemented it myself.

ROI on this tool was within 3 months. We had over-provisioned on the virtual and physical side after our previous upgrade to the VMware systems. Turbonomic brought our virtual infrastructure back down to size and saved us from upgrading hardware again for over a year.

They license by socket. Buy for the sockets you need.

They have a free version of the exact same appliance which just has features greyed out. Try it out and see what they can do for you for free straight from their website.

What other advice do I have?

Turbonomic helps me maintain a lean operations team. What used to take half my day now is automated. ROI on this is a no-brainer.

More Turbonomic reviews from users