Turbonomic Review
The VM rightsizing tools and the intelligent placing of workloads help us to not only streamline what we have but, in conjunction with the sizing tools, to look at future scenarios

What is most valuable?

Originally we looked at Turbonomic as a replacement for our existing virtual management tool as it offered us a real-time view of our environment, which is something we never had before. But it became obvious to us that there was a lot more being offered in the product that we could leverage to ensure our VMware environment was running efficiently.

How has it helped my organization?

The VM rightsizing tools and the intelligent placing of workloads have helped us to not only streamline what we have but, in conjunction with the sizing tools, has allowed us to look at future scenarios and potentially reduce our spend on physical kit in the DC.

What needs improvement?

The old interface was not the clearest UI in some areas, and could be quite intimidating when first using the tool. Subsequent releases have had the option of an updated UI which is not only much cleaner in its look but is also much more intuitive in its operation.

We have been a customer for over two and a half years now.

None, deployment was extremely quick and simple, well within the time quoted on the documentation.

None, we have rarely rebooted or had to spend any time on the appliances or the tool. Apart from upgrades, it's been running constantly since the initial install.

No, but our environment has been pretty stable for the past 18 months.

Very good, the issues we have had were dealt with in a timely fashion.

Very good. Feedback and support were both very good.

We used another tool to give us insights into our VM environment but due to the way it gathered data it was always at least 24 hours out of date. Turbonomic gave us the ability to look at near real-time data coming directly from out VMware environment.

Initial setup was very straightforward with very simple steps to follow.

All implementation was done in-house with no initial input from Turbonomic.

The tool has demonstrated that considerable savings could be had by reducing the amount of physical hardware and, therefore, licenses that are needed.

We felt the pricing was very fair for the product. It is in no way prohibitive for larger deployments, unlike other similar product on the market.

We looked at numerous solutions including SCOM, Veeam, and custom solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The ability to connect to many different environments along with the integration with partner systems make this an essential tool in our IS VM management strategy.