Turbonomic Review

We have the ability to monitor and automate both the right-sizing of VMs as well as the ability to automate the VMotion of VMs across ESXi hosts

What is most valuable?

The ability to monitor and automate both the right-sizing of VMs as well as to automate the vMotion of VMs across ESXi hosts to insure that all resources are being utilized at peak efficiency.

How has it helped my organization?

We no longer have to continuously monitor our virtual environment through multiple interfaces (WhatsUp Gold, Veeam ONE, vSphere, etc.) to discover issues impairing performance. We now receive three separate reports every morning, one showing any actions that Turbonomic attempted to make which failed that lets us know what we need to look at; one showing recommended actions which we have designated within Turbonomic to be manually performed; and one showing all datastore utilization over 85%. All from a single product and all visible from a single pane of glass. With the capacity planning feature, it allows us to accurately determine the proper sizing for our replacement hosts while projecting for a rate of growth specified by us.

What needs improvement?

Mostly the dashboard. While the product is fairly intuitive and easy to use once you learn it, it can be quite daunting until you have undergone a bit of training. With the newest version, the dashboard has gotten even more "intimidating", at least to me.

Approximately one year.

Deployment was extremely easy and straightforward. When setting up custom automation rules, a member of Turbonomic's support team initiated a WebEx and reviewed all of the rules looking for any errors as well as suggesting some additional custom rules based on how we wanted Turbonomic to operate. That's one of the great things about Turbonomic, it is almost endlessly customizable so you can configure it to work in your environment as opposed having to tailor your environment to work with the tool.

No issues at all.

None.

The customer service of Turbonomic has been excellent.

Technical support have been very good.

We previously used a combination of Veeam ONE and WhatsUp Gold to monitor our virtual environment. We switched due to Turbonomic's automation ability. Its ability to monitor and manage practically all virtualization technologies (Hyper-V, VMware, Citrix XenServer, and with the release of version 5.9, most public cloud platforms as well), and the ability to see everything from a single pane of glass.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward.

Implementation was performed through an in-house team with Turbonomic staff available for WebEx for assistance.

In precise dollar amounts, unknown. Having said that, Turbonomic has freed up our staff to devote more time to project implementation and expansion, as opposed to manually monitoring our environment.

Contact the Turbonomic sales team, explain your needs and what you're looking to monitor. They will get a pre-sales SE on the phone and together work up a very accurate quote.

We didn't evaluate other options. We were already using other monitoring tools and switched from them to Turbonomic.

3 visitors found this review helpful
2 Comments
HenryReal UserTOP REVIEWERTOP 5

Nice review

07 July 17
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Nice review. The HTML 5 interface is quite nice once you are used to it. The solution is worked very well for us.

07 July 17