Turbonomic Review

What is most valuable?

Automated and intelligent vMotions, VM right-sizing, storage capacity optimization, reporting, and planning.

How has it helped my organization?

We automate our vMotions, so it has helped us keep congestion on our hosts way down, and has been more effective than DRS. We also have used wasted storage report to reclaim over 2TB of storage from orphaned files that would have had to have been manually located before. Turbonomic has also helped with workload and capacity planning, allowing us to be more accurate with requesting expansion during budgeting.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see an improvement in the reporting, from including more canned reports, to being able to more easily customize the existing ones (without needing to write SQL queries).

About one year.

None.

Here and there, during some older revisions. Since the 5.7 update (I believe) it's been pretty solid. Our issues seemed to relate to the discovery process and inventory, but we haven't had issues for several months now.

Nothing so far.

Very good. When I've opened cases, I get contacted quickly, and am able to work with an engineer fairly quickly. I've also posted questions and non-critical items on the Green Circle community (Turbonomic's user community), and many times I've gotten quick response from our account manager and engineers.

Very good as well.

Very straightforward. It was as simple as loading an OVA, setting the networking, and pointing it at our vCenter. Tweaks have been made over time as needed, but the initial setup was quick and painless.

In-house team, with some recommendations from Turbonomic engineers.

I don't have an exact number, but we have saved lots of time on troubleshooting performance issues.

Nothing specific, just to only license what you need. For us, we license only our production environment. It would be at least a 25% increase if we licensed our development/test environment too.

We evaluated Foglight and SolarWinds Virtualization Manager before deciding on Turbonomic (or VMTurbo at the time).

What other advice do I have?

More Turbonomic reviews from users