Turbonomic Review
The dynamic and autonomous optimization provided by Turbonomic virtual machine placement is impressive.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would have to be the out of box automation of VM placement. Without too much configuration, the dynamic and autonomous optimization provided by Turbonomic virtual machine placement is impressive.

With over 2500 ESX VMs, including 1500+ XenDesktop VDI desktops, hosted over two datacentres and 80+ vSphere hosts, firefighting has become something of the past.

All eight of our vCentre clusters happily run hot at 90+% utilization with n+1 redundancy.

How has it helped my organization?

With over two and a half years of Turbonomic in operation, we are now using the planner functionality for an ongoing datacenter consolidation project. The accuracy of our initial planner results again have been impressive, and this will allow us to project investment costs in detail and with confidence.

What needs improvement?

Since the introduction of a HTML 5 based interface, our main - but minor - criticism of a less than intuitive operation managers' GUI would be the area of improvement.

Including a four month pre-sales led PoC, Turbonomic has been in production just under three years.

Some minor reporting related issues with our initial production versions, which were promptly resolved by Turbonomic support.

No issues with stability, since we moved Turbonomic into production.

Again, we have not come across any issues here.

Customer service is very good and proactive, with the customer experience team keeping in touch regularly.

With only some minor issues, technical support for us has been very good.

SolarWinds Virtualisation Manager, more of a reporting engine, and lacking any preventive optimization functionality.

We moved to Turbonomic for its performance automation. The included reporting and alerting ability is a nice to have, but more or less obsolete.

The initial OVA based setup, including setting up one or two service accounts, took less than 20 minutes. I believe that our vSphere environment was discovered in less than an hour.

After registering for an extended trial license, the implementation was done by our in-house team under continuous support from Turbonomic consulting.

As part of the implementation, Turbonomic provided our business with detailed ROI projections based on our "live" Turbonomic data. By now, cost savings, by guided hardware consolidation and freeing up engineering resources, are very favorable, as projected.

What I can advise is to trial the product, taking advantage of the Turbonomic pre-sales implemention support and kickstart training.

Yes, we ran a short trial of Dell Foglight for Virtualisation.