Turbonomic Review

Valuable Features

The most important feature to us is an objective measurement of VM headroom per cluster. In addition, the ability to check for the right-sizing of VMs.

Improvements to My Organization

We have been able to recover significant headroom by utilizing Turbonomic's measurements. Moreover, there is no need for any in-house reporting to check capacity.

Room for Improvement

Turbonomic's product is the best I have seen at calculating headroom when compared with our original in-house calculations. However, the current versions do not split out headroom by component nor do they indicate where the capacity bottleneck lies (e.g. CPU, memory, or storage).

Use of Solution

We have been using this product for close to a year now.

Deployment was very smooth and we are not even using the appliance. We are using the application on RHEL 7.

I have yet to encounter any problems with stability.

We have multiple vCenters so we did have to break out our initial Turbonomic implementation into multiple Turbonomic instances.

Their customer service is very responsive and they have been following up with us since we bought the product.

I get accurate answers quickly. I would have to rate it higher than most support organizations.

We were using an in-house toolset. There were primarily two reasons for the change:

1. Remove the need for special in-house knowledge and development.
  2. Use a product that is recognized in the industry to increase transparency and confidence in our capacity calculations.

Very simple. If you can run "yum" and follow a one-page document you can install this product.

Implementation Team

We implemented with an in-house team after a week of onsite training at Turbonomic's office.

ROI

The break-even point is probably after less than a year. We calculate we will continue to save money year over year by using this product; even more so as we start implementing more features.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

You should understand the cost of your physical servers and how much time and money you are spending year over year on expanding your virtual farm.

Other Solutions Considered

I have used and tried other products before. Turbonomic is the best for two main reasons: Simplicity and accuracy.

Many products provide tons of information. It's impressive, but superfluous. Turbonomic provides you the information you need - and can provide more - but the dashboards are simple and easy to understand.