Ubiquiti UniFi Review

The cloud management has revolutionized the way we provide services to clients

What is our primary use case?

Provide WiFi and Networking to School and Business Campuses that are Clients of our MSP, because we manage the networks too we can't just install some equipment and walk away, we need to be able to quickly make changes. The UniFi line gives us that ability through the Cloud Management feature. We host our own cloud management server so we are not tied to the manufacture's whims, schedules, and changes. The software easily resides on other cloud-based servers we already had so the additional monthly cost is minimal.

How has it helped my organization?

The cloud management has revolutionized the way we provide services to clients, onsite trips have almost ceased and once complicated changes are made in minutes.

In the old days, if I client needed a change we had to find a PC or Server we could use to access the switch, worse is if they were having problems you couldn't even tell if the switch was up, and you had to track all those IPs. With the Ubiquiti Unifi line the switch checks into the server, so if it has any ways of reaching the internet we can see what is going on.

What is most valuable?

Definitely Cloud management, to be able to monitor and work on remote equipment has saved us a fortune in travel and diagnostic time. And not just making changes, but being able to remotely power cycle and individual POE port has helped us troubleshoot issues that had nothing to do with the switches themselves. So say an AP or VOIP Phone is completely locked up, a quick search for the mac address, if the port isn't already labeled, lets us find the device and power cycle it without affecting any other devices.

What needs improvement?

Documentation could be improved, especially regarding known issues or new features. It relies heavily on the user community to provide support and info. There is a vast user group with support groups on both the dedicated forums as well as most social media platforms. So far we have been able to find solutions to all our issues but there is always the fear an issue will come up we can't resolve and we won't be able to reach out to the company directly. They do offer a subscription support service, but it doesn't make sense for the large number of devices we have.

We have been using the UniFi line of Ubiquiti products for the past few years, we moved over when Cloudtrax was purchased and closed the free cloud service offering.

We use this in sites from 6 ports to over 600 and have had no issues.

The one bad part, it is almost nonexistent and relies on a user community.

We came from the OpenMesh CloudTrax system, we liked it a lot but they were bought by Datto and the free cloud service went to $10 per device/month and that wasn't something we felt our clients would accept.

Very Simple once you get the cloud controller working.

Well looking at other options at $10 per device a month our ROI is in the $1000s.

Take the time to read through the forums and groups first and you will learn some neat tricks, pricing is straight forward with no hidden costs so no surprises there. Play with it first before your first install, we actually build the whole network before a single piece of equipment goes onsite.

We came from OpenMesh so we kind of knew what we wanted, we looked at a few other options like Datto and Cisco but they were too expensive. We also looked at the ZyXEL cloud line but we found the command link was blocked by some of the firewalls we used.

What other advice do I have?

Try it, you will be pleasantly surprised at all it does for such a low price.

Private Cloud

Other
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller and System Integrator.
More Ubiquiti UniFi reviews from users