Ubiquiti UniFi Review

The solution is easy to configure, low cost, and reliable.

What is our primary use case?

WiFi for our home office and client sites as well.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to configure, low cost, and reliable. I do not have to worry about maintenance once the solution is set up, other than updates.

How has it helped my organization?

Though we use the solution internally, we mainly install the solution for clients. My clients have been very happy.

What needs improvement?

Support has gotten much better. The main support is community based. They need to consider offering an enterprise level support for corporate clients that demand this from their other vendors.

I have used this solution for four years.

None.

I have not encountered any issues with stability.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability.

Email support is slow. Community support is good, but it can be spotty.

I switched to this solution due to the cost of other solutions.

The initial setup was very simple and it did not require advanced training.

This solution is low cost and it has a simple cost structure with no recurring fees.

My clients always evaluate other options, such as Cisco, Meraki, Aruba, Aerohive, and others.

What other advice do I have?

• Read the documentation.
  • Understand that there is not a centralized controller required.
  • Realize that it is not “Cisco,” but you are also not paying at that level.
  • Engage someone that knows how to design a WiFi solution and can conduct a true pre-install survey and post-install survey.
  • Get someone who uses tools like AirMagnet or Ekahau to do the survey, not someone walking around with good phone reading signal strength who guesses.
  • If you invest in the survey and the good design, you will still save money over any other solution on the market.