Ubiquiti UniFi Review

Provides great cloud key functionality in monitoring the environment

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the solution is for our own office use. In addition, we've deployed it in a retirement village where we use it for tracking nurses as well as providing internet access for residents and staff. We deal with small to medium size enterprise companies. Our company are resellers and integrators, and I'm a company director.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the functionality of the cloud key in terms of monitoring and managing the environment. If something's not working, we can remotely log on, fix an AP, change a password, implement upgrades, etc. It can all be done remotely. In general, the solution is reliable, trustworthy and generally works quite well.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, I would say that the software interfaces could be better, they can be somewhat lacking at times. There's also a lack of documentation. We work with distributors and they are the ones that supply support and solutions for us. There is currently no proper after-sales technical support from the company.

As mentioned, the product could be improved by including documentation which is currently insufficient. I would also recommend additional testing of software before new releases. The product needs more R & D in terms of their software.

I've been using this solution for about five years.

Once you get over the initial setup the product is stable and works quite well. We've had some issues where devices automatically stop working and they need to be re-set. There have also been glitches in the firmware where a device stops working and then you can't find it in the application. It needs and it requires a hard reset. But on the whole, it's stable.

We use the local support rather than the Ubiquiti technical support. We have our own team to maintain the products.

The initial setup takes about one to two hours and is somewhat complex in the fact that there's no proper support in terms of out of the box or a manual, or any indication of where to find proper information, so they do need to work on documentation.

Implementation needs to be done by a technical person. There are a lot of chat groups and forums online and you might find five or ten different solutions to resolve the issue but it's not coming from the company. From that aspect, we'd prefer a solution where more testing is done before they release the product.

There are no licensing fees. When you buy the hardware it comes with the software so there's no annual fee. In South Africa to buy Ubiquiti the cost is around 1,900 Rand (approximately $USD100).

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to research the solution first, set it up in a lab environment to make sure it's working fully before you approach a customer with it. It's a good product at a reasonable price, much better in terms of cost than Cisco which is very expensive.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud