Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Review

Easy to use, the VPN performs adequately, and the technical support is okay

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for the VPN and it has been successful for us.

How has it helped my organization?

Ubiquity UniFi is adequately doing what we need to do.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the VPN.

This solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the security features improved.

It would be helpful to have better visibility into exactly what is going on in the network. In particular, I would like to have more control over the internal MAC addresses because I have none at the moment. Specifically - I see payloads with virtual MAC addresses - but the management software does not show these addresses in the statistics.

I have been working with Ubiquiti UniFi Switches for two years.

In terms of resilience, this solution seems to be okay. I just upgraded and it has been stable. We haven't had a failure in the 120 days that have passed since the previous upgrade.

It seems to me that there are problems with the performance of my current gateway. I currently have a 500-megabit symmetrical link and I think that I'm at the limit of what it can handle.

We have fifteen users and we don't plan on increasing usage at the moment.

I have only used technical support on one occasion and it seemed to be okay.

Prior to UniFi, we used a homegrown Unix environment. I upgraded it to use the UniFy because it seemed to be straightforward. I put in a 48-port power-over-ethernet switch that has the flexibility to handle VOIP and the other services that we need.

The initial setup was reasonably straightforward. I currently use the management console bound to a server, rather than use the cloud key. I did purchase one but it's now obsolete because I use services that it doesn't support.

I feel that the price of this solution is definitely reasonable compared to all of the others. Once you buy the equipment, there are no additional fees.

What other advice do I have?

I am exploring the possibility of using our Ubiquiti switch as an external gateway but I'm not sure whether I want a gateway in the cloud, or what kind of gateway exactly, so this is something to be decided later.

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that you really need to look at the risk profile. Also, I don't think that it is necessarily scalable because I think that I'm on the edge of the limit of what we can use it for. However, there may be something else coming that will assist with this.

More Ubiquiti UniFi Switches reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti UniFi Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.