Ubiquiti Wireless Review

Useful dual band, low cost, and scalable, but old firmware unstable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for big houses and sometimes in hotels.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped my organization a little bit.

What is most valuable?

Having dual-band is important. Having compatibility with very old equipment on certain frequencies, for example on 2.4 and 5.8. On the 2.4 frequency, there are a lot of things in the house that uses it, sometimes old TVs cannot connect to the new technologies but they work fine with this solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more cloud features that some of the other competitors such as Cisco Meraki have that are very useful.

In an upcoming release, I would like to see faster updates and advancements.

Cisco product can show you all the traffic on the cloud, what kind of traffic, who is connected, and who disconnected. They have a lot of statistics, all the Mac addresses and IPs. You can see a lot of information. Additionally, It is very easy to find some specific equipment. For example, what port is connected and what others do not. If you also put some switches from Meraki, you also will have a lot more features, plenty of more. That is why it is expensive but it's the best definitely. This solution should take some of the beneficial features from those two solutions I mentioned and upgrade.

I have used the solution in the past 12 months.

When we upgrade the access points to the newest version, it does not work all the time, when this occurs we need to roll back the firmware.

The solution is scalable. The eight-person IT department is using the solution as well as everybody else because they use wifi, approximately 32 employees.

The customer support is satisfactory. Sometimes the support would rather the customer use the technical chats or forums that they have. They do not always take the call.

I rate Ubiquiti Wireless customers support an eight out of ten.

We have used previously Cisco, IronNet, and Ruckus. I have found Ruckus to be the best.

Sometimes when you are trying to set up the access points it comes with old firmware which makes it have problems when setting it up on the controller. It can be very difficult. However, if the firmware is not too old it will work fine.

If you do not have a big budget, you can use Ubiquiti, it is cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

Those wanting to purchase solutions try and balance between the price and features, with this solution it is very cheap in comparison with Cisco and Ruckus. For example, if you are looking for houses best suited, the high-end houses are a good fit. For companies, they might have a larger budget to invest in more expensive equipment. Ubiquiti for houses is more than enough.

I rate Ubiquiti Wireless a seven out of ten.

Latest version
More Ubiquiti Wireless reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Wireless WAN
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.