Ubiquiti Wireless Review

Enables us to do testing and development with routing data over wireless networks

What is our primary use case?

We want to have full control over the product so we use it on-premises. Our main customer base is in the city of Leyden for free outdoor wifi usage. We have about 100 access points around the city. We do interlinks and point links, as well as in harbors, campsites, and anywhere there is demand locally. We do service other cities, but Leyden is the main city. We do testing and development with routing data over wireless networks.

What is most valuable?

I think two major things are the most valuable for our operations. The quality is very important, and we have seen that this system has been reliable for the last 10 years. That is an important factor. Managing the number of towers and access points has always been a challenge and made this type of business quite expensive in this location.

The main thing for us is the prices and meeting and beating the price of competitors. So the most important feature is the value itself. Technology-wise, everyone can offer the same thing. Our standard is to have the best service and offer it all for less.

What needs improvement?

Looking at future usage as in self-steering cars and drones should be part of Ubiquiti. For now, it's too early. But this can be an important function to add. SSID (Service Set Identifier) is also something that is important looking into the future. I'm not sure if those are all of the things that can be improved because everything changes constantly in technology. It could be one of the most advanced products in the industry if it incorporated these things. There are issues with government usage and other security issues. These have to be addressed for the future.

I would approximate that I have been using the product for about 10 years.

The product itself is very stable. We don't have problems because of Ubiquiti. The problems come from peripheral issues.

The most current version that we are using has scalable storage. The scalability depends on the equipment. They do switches now which helps balance the load. We are not using all the options at this point, but we are capable of using multiple access points.

So the product is scalable within certain limits. Some of those are what we place on our understanding of the product and the security.

We have engaged with technical support. The service we use is actually my colleague. They're good at dealing with technical things that we don't already have experience with.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. I'm not exactly sure that what I see is always something everyone is capable enough to do. We have a technical team to develop our own solutions within the technology and access points to make it more stable and functional. But for people without these resources, it could be harder to use.

We are doing implementations by ourselves for us and for our customers. We sell to end-users. So we're not dealers but we are acting as dealers at the same time. Essentially we are both like partners and resellers.

Competitors are asking high prices for their services in my opinion and they do not compete well with Ubiquity. The current price range of Ubiquiti is a good but if it becomes more expensive, there will be more competitors to compare with. It is currently purchased by customers on a yearly base.

What other advice do I have?

We are primarily concerned with outdoor use. There is another provider we are using for services to deal with privacy regulations in Europe. That is still a question to investigate for using Ubiquiti to comply with European regulations. We are currently using our own hardware for management.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, Ubiquiti Wireless is an eight. There are some things that can be improved.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.
More Ubiquiti Wireless reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Wireless WAN
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.