Ubiquiti Wireless Review

Reasonably priced, easy to use, stable and reliable

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubiquiti Wireless for WiFi deployment in my flat in Switzerland where I have one access point and two switches. The flat is about 80 to 100 square meters, so one access point is enough. I have also installed it in my parents' two-family house where there are four access points. The house has three floors so requires more access points to cover the whole area.

A lot also depends on the thickness of the building's walls. If you want good coverage and you're using the 5Ghz frequency band, I think you need one access point per 60 square meters.

What is most valuable?

I like the features that allow configuration of the access points, the firewalls, and the switches from an application on your smartphone. If my mother calls and tells me there's a problem with the internet connection or WiFi, I can check it on my mobile phone and can then restart the device or let her know there's another reason for the problem. It helps because my parents are over 70 years old.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved in the product, I would have to say security features are lacking. I'm not saying it's easy to hack or not very secure, but when I compare it to the Cisco Meraki solution I use at work, there are a lot of features missing. For example, you can't use antivirus protection and spam filters. For sure it's secure but there are some enterprise features missing. Another issue is that unwanted traffic passes through the firewall with Ubiquiti Wireless, whereas with Cisco Meraki there is an access control list that enables traffic to be stopped.

I'm using the AP PRO which I don't think is the latest version and it doesn't support WiFi 6 and other things but it's Dual-Radio with a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency band.

I've been using Ubiquiti Wireless for four years.

In terms of the stability of the solution, I haven't had any problems. One time I had a broken power supply in one of my 16 port switches, but nothing else.

I've never needed any technical support for the product.

The initial setup was quite straightforward and the system is very user-friendly. You can start firmware updates right from your phone and configure the whole thing. The initial setup is via the web browser and connected to the cloud. It takes 10 to 15 minutes and then you connect the controller with your cloud account, add switches and access points. There is a good instruction manual that is simple to follow and the system is easy to boot. Once completed, search for new devices, and within 10 seconds all appear in your network. It does require basic IT skills, but it's okay. I installed it myself using the manual.

The system requires a Cloud Controller which collects all the metrics and statistics from the devices and then pushes the data to the cloud. It's a public cloud hosted by Ubiquiti Networks. It allows you to view all the collected data and options.

The product is a very good price with no setup or ongoing costs. If you compare it to Cisco Meraki, it's one-fifth of the price. But you have to remember that Cisco is an enterprise solution and it seems Ubiquiti Wireless is more for private or small business use but doesn't suit large enterprise needs.

Some of my IT colleagues use it for small businesses, up to 20 people, because it's a cheap, affordable solution for smaller companies that don't have large budgets.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an 8 out of 10.

More Ubiquiti Wireless reviews from users