Ubiquiti WLAN Review

Management interface is a key feature, enables viewing of devices centrally

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses this solution extensively and recently we've deployed it for our clients too. I've also been using it personally so it's a flexible solution. There are probably 10 users in my company. I'm a systems and networks administrator and we're customers of Ubiquiti.

What is most valuable?

The product has a great management interface. We centralized all the devices which enables the possibility to see the coverage of one device in a plan. It's a nice feature.

What needs improvement?

This is not a simple solution like you might find with other vendors. There could be some improvement with the updates and it requires a special environment to manage the Ubiquiti device. You cannot manage a device without the environment. You need to understand the architecture, the environment, and the management of the device which is somewhat complicated. It's not something that anyone can do.

Another issue is that there's no option to take another device, say a second PC or a mobile phone, and try to manage the environment. It's only the initial device that can be used and you need to continue with that. If you wish to change a device, it requires reconfiguration from scratch. I think this is a negative in the solution. Even with this issue it's still a good solution.

I've been using this solution for almost four years.

The solution is stable, but I have experienced an issue with updating lately. Every time I launch the update, the device crashes and I have to manually restart the device,

Scalability is good. Once the environment is in place, adopting a new device is very simple,

We were using Cisco prior to switching to Ubiquiti but the solution didn't have an interface to centrally manage all the devices. Our company is a multi-seat environment so Ubiquiti is very useful.

The main difference between Ubiquiti and other solutions is the wireless coverage and the equipment. The device in itself is solid, It has all the functionality that I need.

Initial setup is a little complicated, because it first requires configuration of the LAN environment before adopting the device. I mention this for those who are not regular users of the product. I don't have a problem with it but I know it's difficult for others. For someone who knows what they're doing, deployment takes about half an hour.

This is an affordable solution and there are no hidden extras.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to study the system before implementing in the real environment, because it can be a little bit difficult initially. Once you have experience it's a very good solution.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More Ubiquiti WLAN reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN
Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti WLAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarMike Hunt
User

We installed Ubiquiti APs in a couple of sites and it works fine. However, we were not looking for a High Avaiability solution (ie we have single points of failure with single Switch or single APs). We were very happy at the pricing and the installation. THe 2.4 and 5 GHz is working fine. Seamless Handover works fine. Wish they would have Enterprise Solutions and also future oriented (WIFI 6 and WPA 3?) timelines.