Ubuntu Linux Review

Free and open source enterprise solution

What is our primary use case?

We pretty much use it to run everything that we have at the moment.

What is most valuable?

For us, OpenStack is awesome. We want something that will be much simpler than a broad and complicated solution.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I would say management and storage. Mostly, the storage mechanism. There have been some subsequent versions that have improved on this. But I'm talking about the version that we are currently running. We are aware that there have been some subsequent versions that have addressed this challenge.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux between six and 10 years, and I joined the company about three years ago.

In terms of stability, it has been very stable.

Because the version we are running is the community version, we are on our own. We rely on information available in the community to address support cases. I heard that there was going to be some training at some point. For now, we pretty much manage it by ourselves. But we've not really had any cause for support. Because of how very broad the solution is, you need some substantial budgets to be able to manage it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would rate Ubuntu Linux an eight.

Off the top of my head, I would advise to check out the management of the storage.

Also, the UI can always be improved.

Private Cloud
More Ubuntu Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)