Ubuntu Linux Review

Easy installation without too much configuration; lacking support for graphic drivers

What is our primary use case?

I'm a customer of Ubuntu Linux and work as director lead infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

I love the way that they introduced the Linux system by making a lot of user adjustments for beginners who'd never used Linux before. It makes the solution much more feasible for people who have never used this operating system before to start using it without too much manual configuration. The way that they included third-party drivers for easy installation is great, for example, as are drivers for the video drivers Nvidia and ATI. The operating system is customizable which is also an excellent feature. Basically, you can do almost anything you can imagine from a user interface perspective.

They also do a lot of interesting investment and they make their operating system really usable and adjustable for server systems as well. They have their own Kubernetes offering, which can be used within their operating system. It's great for IT pros.

What needs improvement?

What I think could be improved greatly is the support for the majority of hardware vendors like ATI, Nvidia, and all the other vendors producing hardware and supplying perfect drivers for Windows operating system, but they don't care much for Linux. Canonical are doing a great job, but the third-party support and the vendors should be paying more attention to the Linux operating system, not only with Microsoft drivers and so on.

I'd like to see better support for graphic drivers and support from the hardware lenders when they next provide an update. I believe the third-party vendors are putting their efforts in development for the operating system that has better penetration among users. Unfortunately, they're not paying too much attention because not so many people are using Linux at the moment. It's not their priority. Another aspect might be that the vendors don't like to put a lot of effort into their support and drivers for Linux, because the community that uses Linux is geared towards open source software, and the vendors are rarely happy about that. Still, most of the vendors put their major efforts into the Microsoft ecosystem. I believe it's all due to the market penetration, but it would be great if we could see improvement in this area.

I've been using this solution since it came on the market.

I think it's very stable.

I think it's very scalable due to the nature of the architecture. It's a reliable operating system.

We haven't had any need to contact technical support.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Ubuntu for any user looking to try Linux for the first time. And I believe that most of the things they need would be just working out of the box.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More Ubuntu Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)