Ubuntu Linux Review

Easy to use and comes with many available packages

What is most valuable?

The feature that I most like in Ubuntu is that it is really easy to use. Ubuntu is very easy to use and comes with many available packages. I think that Ubuntu is a good solution for the small business or a small lab, like ours. We have a different database, more applications, and more solutions, and it's not so difficult to use Ubuntu for that.

What needs improvement?

it sometimes happens that when you upgrade, the network card deactivates.
the "Network-manager" network service must be restarted to allow the server to be able to reconnect to the network. this is a situation that I have experienced several times.
Therefore if it is a novice it could be compromising for him.
I think it would be important to improve this so that the network service or even any other service is not stopped after an upgrade.

I have been using Ubuntu Linux for eight to ten years.

We are three senior engineers and four junior engineer doing the maintenance.

In terms of scalability, Ubuntu allows us to implement the necessary scalability. But in our solution, we don't need scalability. But it is possible to implement the solution in Ubuntu and I think it permits scalability.

I have tried to do the scalability by using the future machine to implement the scalability solution, but at this time we don't use it in our solution in the lab because you have many people with commercial access. For this kind of use, normally it is on our server for our solution but it's possible to implement a scalability solution with high availability, also.

I never contacted customer support. Maybe in the future I will contact Ubuntu technical support. For now, when we have a problem, we try to go to the community on different discussion forums to solve our different problems.

The initial setup is easy, it's not complex.

It does not take a long time. The installation of Ubuntu takes maybe 30 to 40 minutes for only its installation and not to deploy our additional software solution.

What other advice do I have?

What I can advise is that Ubuntu is a good solution for different environments, such as one server, but it will be important for them to estimate their scalability solution. If there are many people with access to the server, we know there will be load implementation of the server and you can use Ubuntu here. Ubuntu is easy to use and has a big community for the back-end that can help with the deployment of the solution.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Ubuntu Linux a nine.

More Ubuntu Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Red Hat Linux (RHEL)