Ubuntu Linux Review

I don't have to switch between multiple OS for my work.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu MATE provides me with a complete OS experience, so I don't have to switch between multiple OS for my work; I can do my development, usual browsing and accessing tools on the same machine.

I mostly use the OS for development purposes by running IDE like PyCharm. I also use the OS to connect to other machines in our development environment.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved from Ubuntu 12 to Ubuntu 16 recently, owing to the various new fixes that were shipped with its new version.

Ubuntu is the standard deviation OS in our environment and we have built our own image that the developers can just download and begin using it.

What needs improvement?

Stability is a big issue in my opinion. I have found version 12 to be more stable. I have tried various desktop environments and MATE seemed most stable to me.

I have been using it for the last four months. Before this, I was using Ubuntu 12.

We have encountered stability issues. I find it less stable when I am using Ubuntu as a virtual machine.

There were no major issues with its scalability.

We have never used technical support.

We were using Ubuntu 12 and we switched to Ubuntu 16, so as to solve the performance issues and version upgrade for development purposes.

The setup was straightforward. We found it easy to set up version 16 compared to version 12.

What other advice do I have?

MATE Desktop is most suited if you want to run Ubuntu 16 in a virtual environment.