Ubuntu Linux Review

The initial setup experience was the best of all other distributions.

What is most valuable?

I like it that Ubuntu is actually free and was one of the first with a decent hardware recognition during installation. It is still free, where some other distributions are no longer free and with a large and active community. A large community means that if you run into issues you have a place to find a solution or to help others.

How has it helped my organization?

I have used it professionally on some occasions but mainly to maintain the home network. Long Time Support has helped me to prevent regular updates on stable servers.

What needs improvement?

The Linux for desktop marketing could be improved but that is not only for Canonical/Ubuntu an issue.

How could these areas be improved? All parties (commercial, idealogical and non-commercial (I.e. the rest)) together could be a force to rekon with. But I do not think that there is a way to let them join forces. So, it is down to smaller initiatives to make people aware of the alternatives to Windows. Also, the required buying of Windows on each PC does not help. I think this is not helpful for IT as a whole.

I have used Linux for over 20 years now and Ubuntu for over 10 years.

It is rocksolid!

I did not run into scalability issues.

I used community support (and Google) for the issues I ran into and solved most within a short time.

I used other distributions, such as Slackware, Mandrake, Redhat, Debian and, of all of those, I like the way Ubuntu is setup the best.

The initial setup experience was the best of all other distributions and it was a smooth ride :)

What other advice do I have?

Go for it if you need al Linux based server. Just start downloading it and using it. It is free.