Ubuntu Linux Review

Provides a cheap, stable server for our DevOps team, using standards we can easily apply

How has it helped my organization?

With Web services, many DevOps require different configurations that could cause problems with each project's needs. We are able to supply a cheap, stable server that can cover the DevOps team, using standards we can apply very easily.

RTO with the use of templating support for VMware for fast deployment of recovery or new systems, with the least amount work needed on custom settings, within application installed from install repositories. Shorter overall time with the vetted packages. Normally install and go. Time from Dev to Prod has been reduced from months to weeks in most cases.

What is most valuable?

Each server has been installed to serve as a solution for a service needed. LAMP seems to be the most used package over all.

Stability of our systems has only improved since moving from CentOS to Ubuntu LTS.

Scale would normally be limited to the hardware. As with most Linux distros, HA packages for most apps are available in the repositories and many great support  forums with how-to's.

With the great support forums available, I have not needed to contact support as of yet.

We still have a mix of servers and must support our legacy systems that range from Red Hat, CentOS, and FreeBSD. As time goes, on we require more stable services with updated security, and we replace them with Ubuntu LTS to unify our systems to a standard that is easy to support and deploy.

With all the systems our network requires, this was one of easiest deployments thus far.

Many other Linux distros were selected for testing, but Debian core was very stable. However, the Debian distro itself was very annoying, missing many basic packages, and had little to no support for template deployment in VMware vCenter 5.5 to current.

What other advice do I have?

We are a non-profit consumer with a small budget, hence the need for a stable, low-cost server to provide services to our users.

While I would recommend Ubuntu LTS (stable v16.04.3 at time of this review) try other distros to see how long it takes to deploy, and how much tweaking it will take to implement your project.

Ubuntu 16.04.3
More Ubuntu Linux reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with CentOS
Learn what your peers think about Ubuntu Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.