Ubuntu Linux Review

Scalability and expanding capacity are easily done in a short amount of time

What is our primary use case?

I used it before on my laptop, and I was quite happy with it. I had to change back to Windows 8 when we got a new product which is not supported by Linux. To show our product to our customers, I had to go back to Windows.

I still have an older laptop which is using the Ubuntu version on it. I am still quite happy with it. I have not had so many compatibility problems between Ubuntu and Windows as I have had with Mac.

How has it helped my organization?

Our biggest issue is cybersecurity. In 2013, we decided to protect our network with a Linux server. If there is a virus going into the network, it has to pass through an Ubuntu server, which can't be infected by the virus. So, there are less viruses on our systems.

What is most valuable?

Linux is more stable than Windows.

What needs improvement?

An easier to configure firewall would be a good add-on.

I would like some antiviruses, since what you get on the market is not much. However, if you want to protect your network, there should be an easier way to configure security software since sometimes it can be very difficult.

Three to five years.

It is very stable. Previously, I never had a problem.

Though, I have a problem now. I tried to install Microsoft SQL Server on a new Ubuntu machine, and it is not working at 100 percent. This is following Microsoft's install instructions, not Ubuntu's.

I had a customer who was using NGINX running on Ubuntu servers in three different data centers. After getting more servers behind these NGINX Ubuntu servers, we had to resize everything. This was easily done in a very short amount of time, and we were able to expand the capacity too.

I have never used the technical support.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. Sometimes, I have to read a little bit. I have quite a big eBook with how to's, which I wrote myself.

It is very cheap. It didn't cost anything to download a Ubuntu server version and install it on an already existing Dell server.

Cisco or Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: sales support.