Ubuntu Linux Review

Has a simple interface and it's easy to use but it is lacking enterprise features

What is our primary use case?

Some of my customers use Red Hat, some of them use Debian, and some of them use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is popular for ordinary customers and some of our clients use Ubuntu. I have experience with most main distributions, such as SUSE, Ubuntu, Red Hat, CentOS, and Debian.

How has it helped my organization?

A Majority of my customers would rather be Using CentOS, RHEL, and OLE but also some are looking for easier interface and simplicity. it suitable for newcomers and desktop users. What appeals to me about it is that you wouldn't have trouble with your drivers.

What is most valuable?

Ubuntu has a good interface, it is easier to use than other distribution such as CentOS or Red Hat. It's suitable for beginners who want to start learning Linux. It has a simple interface and it's easy to use. Ubuntu is suitable for someone looking for a desktop Linux.

What needs improvement?

I prefer to use Debian instead of Ubuntu because Debian is the main distributor. Debian is more stable than Ubuntu. In some projects, I have had some problems with Ubuntu Linux. I finally figured out the root cause. It goes back to repositories. On Ubuntu, you can use main repositories and the source of a package that you install from. If you change repositories, you will get trouble and have difficulties with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu should create some specific features, like Red Hat. Red Hat has provided many features for open-source, like FreeIPA. I can centralize the management and policy management. It's very good, like Microsoft. That has an active directory, a special directory service for the customers.

I'm looking for enterprise features. I'm looking for specific features in the storage area, in the file system area. I'm looking for management solutions, integration solutions, like SUSE and Red Hat.

I have been using Linux for more than eighteen years.

Because of some cutting edge packages, I think stability is good. Sometimes you need software that is not in the main repositories. Ubuntu tries to involve new software in their repositories.

I think there isn't a difference between Ubuntu and other distributors. If you have enough experience in Linux, you can implement most solutions, and there aren't any specific features between most of the major Linux.

I have been working with several companies that use Linux in their office but they use Linux servers and most of them use Oracle Linux or CentOS and some of them use Debian. Some employers in these companies use Ubuntu so there are not very many users.

I haven't used Ubuntu's support up until now. In most situations, my colleagues and I can resolve problems based on our experience, internet forums, and many papers that you can find everywhere about Linux.

The problems we would encounter would depend on the service we're working on. I implemented FreeIPA for some of my customers and I had some problems with the installation process. The main Ubuntu documents couldn't help me anymore. I had to look for extra documents on the net. I can resolve it from Red Hat or even Debian documents. It takes a reasonable amount of time to find a solution.

Don't change main repository of Ubuntu otherwise, you will get trouble.

The initial setup is very simple but not as simple as Mint. In the desktop area, Mint Linux is easier than Ubuntu Linux. Statistics show that Mint is more popular than Ubuntu but the setup is not difficult compared with Red Hat or another distributor.

All of my projects have been done by the internal team.

It is not easy to find out ROI for such a solution but you don't have to pay for buying and most of the time for support.

All of them are free most of the time if you have good Linux admins.

I have been working on many Linux Distro till now. I evaluate the new release of the main distros to find out new features.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.