UFT (QTP) Review

We can synchronize with QC, and API automation tests can be placed into test suites and run automatically through the QC scheduler. There are times, however, when it freezes and locks out the user.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature for me is API Tests for SOAP automation testing.

Improvements to My Organization

With HP UFT, we're able to synchronize with HP Quality Center, and API automation tests can be placed into test suites and run automatically through the HP Quality Center scheduler. Results for the tests are set and HP Quality Center is able to report on the test results. Emails can then be sent to notify anyone of the results in real time.

Room for Improvement

There are scenarios where the tool freezes and locks the user out. Re-opening the tool puts test results in a locked state, making the test read-only. The only way to unlock the test is to have an administrator force close the user’s last login.

Calling GUI tests within an API test or vice versa results in difficult, confusing scenarios on how to update tests properly when it comes to parameters and actions. Most of the time, it is easier to close the tests, open them one at a time, and perform the actions needed before calling the tests together.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

The only time I encountered tool issues was when the servers to our ALM database was down.

I personally have never had to deal with customer service or technical support. We have an administrator assigned to that task.

SOAPUI Pro and ReadyAPI were used for API testing. HP UFT was used in conjunction when automation needed to be set up. With the synchronization with HP Quality Center, HP UFT saved time.

I was not a part of the initial set up. Installing the tool on my machine was straightforward based on my company’s instructions.

ROI

My company is very firefighting friendly, so the ROI was immense when it came to automation and the amount of time it took to get test suites and regression set up. The amount of test cases a user can create in a short amount of time is incredible.

The ROI is variable depending on the size of the team, the amount of usage they plan on using the tool, and the budget they have on tools, training, and support.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I do not know the exact numbers my company paid for the licenses, but from what I heard on the grapevine, only seat licenses were bought when absolutely necessary and floating licenses were bought for everything else.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Don IngersonConsultantELITE SQUADTOP 5

I have experienced the scenario where a UFT script stored in QC gets locked and becomes read only. You are correct that the QC Admin has to disconnect the user session to unlock it.

04 January 17