UFT (QTP) Review

The ability to run repeatable tests unattended during off hours saves lots of manual testing hours. I would like to see IDE improvements, some of which are addressed in recent versions.

Valuable Features

I've found the most valuable feature to be the ease of object identification using the products spy tool.

Improvements to My Organization

As with any test automation tool, the ability to run repeatable tests unattended during off hours saves lots of manual testing hours.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see IDE improvements (collapsible code, being able to open multiple test files simultaneously, having stack trace information). Some of these IDE features have been addressed in the more recent versions.

The solution works for the most part, but the IDE is horrible (although I hear version 12 has a revamped IDE and is much better) and as a result of VBScript being the language, there is no stack trace information available so debugging some errors is not an easy task.

I would like to also see support for other languages than just VBS. Java, Full VB, C#, etc.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three years.

The application will occasionally crash or be unable to reach the License Server which causes test suites to fail.

The tech support is pretty good. Compared to Micro Focus’s SilkTest, it is much better. Although I haven’t used SilkTest in about 5 years so it may have improved.

I was not involved in the evaluation of this product. I inherited it.

ROI

I don’t really have information on the pricing/licensing as I wasn’t involved in that and wouldn’t be able to comment on the ROI. This solution has been in place for about five years and the tests are pretty reliable so I would think it has a pretty good ROI, but just guessing.

Other Solutions Considered

This solution probably wouldn't be my first choice. I have used Silk Test and Selenium. Selenium would probably be my first choice due to the high ROI, reliability, being able to have a IDE choice and support of multiple languages.

Learn More About UFT

Fill out the form to view the report