UFT (QTP) Review

We're able to automate both Windows and web applications form a single console. The product should evolve to be flexible so one can use any programming language such as Java and C#.

Valuable Features

The ease of record and playback as well as descriptive programming are the most valuable features of UFT (QTP). Also the feature for automating both Windows and web applications form a single console is not bad.

Improvements to My Organization

My previous organization used UFT extensively for automation more than 500 complex end to end regression tests with considerable savings in time and effort. We were able to achieve that with high degree of reusability.

Room for Improvement

The product should evolve to be flexible so one can use any programming language such as Java and C#, and not just VB script. Also, the dependency of browser windows to be opened on screen in order for the tool to recognize objects is a big deal breaker since most organizations mandate screen locking when leaving the systems unattended. If we can’t leave a test to run attended, the point of automation in itself becomes a question-mark.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for more than 10 years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We did have a few instances of browser crashing as well as the product crashing. While the product crashing was resolved with 4 GB of memory, the issue with browser crashing still happened with IE 11 and 12 browsers and no resolution was found.

UFT is pretty late to support latest versions of IE. Also I have seen a marked decrease in execution speed while the scripts grow.

I have not interacted directly with HP on the product support.

UFT setup is pretty straightforward.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It took about five years to break even. UFT is costly.

Other Solutions Considered

No other options were looked as we went straight ahead into UFT.

Other Advice

Go for the cheaper option of Selenium if your requirement is purely browser based testing. If not, go for UFT.

Learn More About UFT

Fill out the form to view the report