UiPath Review

We were able to save roughly 40%, more than 8,000 hours and for us, that is ROI

Video

What is our primary use case?

We have acquired UiPath with both the robot and orchestrator. I want to make sure that we get the right return on investment and with the orchestrator you are not only able to use the robots during the day, but you are also able to schedule them during the night. You maximize your investment 24/7.

Lombard International Insurance is the number one in wealth investment and for us the onboarding process is a critical one. We have started with KYC (know your client) which is an extremely painful process, a lot of manual work, but now have some very good friends and colleagues that are happy to have Ruby the robot as their assistant.

On top of this we also have tax reporting, overdraft, reinvestment, so there are several processes, some like KYC for instance.

How has it helped my organization?

The commitment that we have made internally is that we're going to reduce the workload as much as 20%-50% and I would say this is the promise that we have delivered.

In KYC it's 50%, in another process it's 20%, it's also very much depending on the maturity of the processes and how much manual work do you currently have because the robot will only take away the manual work.Whenever you need to have validation because you need to have the four-eye check, that still remains.

When it comes to automation in our organization, we have a certain strategy. Automation and technology is only one pillar of our strategy, but we have an integrated strategy which means that we have the business model, the operating model and the technology.

What is most valuable?

When you build a house, if you do not have a strong foundation, it's just going to fall apart, so, for us, it's a pillar. It's not the only one, but it is the cherry on the cake, that it is the one that is actually enabling the business to go further and to provide better services to our clients.

At least for our case, I would say it's not the cost that was driven by attended or unattended robots. At the end of the day, my department, business transformation, I am there to transform the business for better.

In some cases, you have processes in which you still need human interaction, you still need somebody to validate and make sure that, once all the data are prepared for you in the onboarding process, you certified and you double checked four eyes principle that everything is correct.

In some cases you do need the attended robot. In some other cases, tax reporting for instance, you can just run it unattended and it's perfectly. You don't even need to know it. Before morning, you have the report prepared for your local authorities, and that is fine, so I think it's just a mix, depending on your business and how it's bringing much more value to you. Sometimes, it's only attended, sometimes, it's unattended, but I think, in most of the cases, you will have in any companies a mix between attended and unattended.

We are proud to say that we have not encountered any issues. Yes, sometimes I hear some colleagues like, "Oh, I have KYC and he stopped." Well, there are also some reasons because, if your password expired and, guess what, somebody needs to update it before it's expiring, the robot will stop. Yes, but so is if you're a human and your password expired, you need to change it.

It is scalable for us. I will have to be honest, we do not have 1,000 robots.

We have not had any opportunity to work with them because that was very stable so far, so we had only in the beginning a partner which worked with us in this journey.

I have actually a story with a CEO in our previous company who was saying, "I didn't know when we did the email migration." I said, "Well, then it means my department is very successful. If you do not hear, if you do not see it, it means we do a good job, so I can only assume they do a good job if we do not interact with them."

It was quite straightforward. Not only this but you see they go more and more into the direction that makes this open and collaborative even for the business users. So that is a very strong advantage for us.

We selected Fujitsu in Luxembourg because our company is headquartered in Luxembourg. Fujitsu had proven not only that they have the technology knowledge, but also the market and local legislation which, Luxembourg people know that it's heavy regulated and you need to really know the ins and outs, so, for us, they seem to be the right partner.

In terms of ROI, I think it's also depending and this is probably critical and I can advise other companies that are starting this journey, make sure one of the critical success factors is select value reach processes. What does this mean? It means that you need to select critical process for your business but also those in which you do have high manual work and you run maybe that process frequently.

You will see ROI in probably 9-12 months, at least as I said, if we look at our processes. Now, we do not like to talk about savings in term of money because we have a different philosophy, meaning that what we want to create we want to create workload reduction for our users.

If I am projecting growth, if I need 10-15%  growth next year, how do I cover this? Do I hire more people? Do I streamline my processes? Well they are kind of lean. Do I use technology? Yes. Well that's your answer. So it means you need to use that technology in a smart in order to enable your people to process more, be it transaction, terms of processing, be it in finance and they have a lot of invoices, it does not matter. It's the same, it means that if we are able and we were able to save roughly around 40%, more than 8,000 hours, per year that we have managed to save, for us that was the ROI.

This is how we are able, for instance next year, to reach the five billion target. I would advise other companies to go more in that direction.

I think one of the advantages that we had with UiPath is that we tested other products such as Automation Anywhere because they are the big players.

What other advice do I have?

We did not yet implement UiPath in Citrix, we have Citrix in our environment, we work with Fujitsu too because there are some aspects that you need to take into account.

I would give it an 8.9 because the extractor is not there, probably now with the extractor I would give it a 9.3. In terms of what it is as options, as I said, I think they are the only player at this moment that has attended, unattended, and an orchestrator, you can customize it.

More UiPath reviews from users
...who compared it with Automation Anywhere (AA)
Start Your UiPath Free Trial

Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.