UiPath Review

The product is reliable and gets the job done

What is our primary use case?

We use it to automate administrative functions, like finance and HR tasks. We are also automating a lot of things in our SAP systems, e.g. updating prices.

We use it for a lot of small tasks, like downloading something from an particular internal website (e.g., SharePoint in Office 365) and uploading it back, or for doing modifications, then loading them back.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it in a very large way across the company. Last year, we implemented approximately 22 processes and saved close to 80,000 hours total. This year, we have already saved close to 6000 hours.

What is most valuable?

You don't need to know coding, as it's pretty straightforward. The graphical user interface is easy to use. It is drag and drop. You do need to understand the basics of what's happening, what you're doing, and how the technical things work. However, after a short bit of training, you can start doing stuff, and the more you learn, the better you become.

There are so many workarounds. It allows you to do complicated things in such an easy way. UiPath has provided so many APIs that make it easy to interact with other databases or applications without even going into them. If I wanted to download something from a website, then I don't need to necessarily go into it, I can use the API function, which is very cool.

What needs improvement?

With Excel applications, it is not able to handle a lot of pop ups. It should be able to do this automatically. We just change the format of the file from XLSX to XLS, but it should be able to handle this automatically. Instead, when something pops up, it gets stuck there. This type of thing are small, but still the process gets stuck. I would like to see better integration of applications to avoid these issues.

We are also making a lot of manual changes in SAP. We are looking for a solution where we don't have to make manual corrections every time, similar to what UiPath did with some SharePoint websites.

Less than one year.

The product is definitely reliable. It gets the job done. The difference is in how you design it. When you start as a developer, you tend to always take the longest route as part of the learning process. Once you get used to the product, you realize something can be done in two steps instead of five.

A lot of people rely on what I design, so if it doesn't work, I immediately get a call that 50 people are waiting for something. This happens, but rarely, as it works perfectly.

Whenever we get stuck on something and are not able to proceed, then we get in touch with UiPath, who will help us out. Their technical support staff is pretty good. These things really help the user out.

Initially, I used the UiPath Academy when I didn't know anything. At that time, I went through the basic training, then I had to leave the academy to focus on automating our company standard products, like SAP.

What other advice do I have?

I have been working with this solution for 11 months. I did not know about this solution before working as an RPA Developer. Now, you can challenge me on anything UiPath related, and I will find a solution. It is so easy to learn new things. It has good usability.