UiPath Review

Unattended robots completely take tasks out of the user's hands so users don't have to spend time doing mundane things

What is our primary use case?

We use Orchestrator, Studio, and Robot to work with automation in our finance department.

How has it helped my organization?

The product improves how our organization functions by automating tasks so users aren't having to spend time doing mundane things.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the unattended robots as they completely take tasks out of the user's hands.

What needs improvement?

In the next release of the solution, I'd like to see process mining to analyze business processes through event logs. It would help the end-users determine what processes need to or can be automated.

As for areas of the solution that have room for improvement, the usability for the end-users could improve so that they will be better able to program on their own. Coupled with process mining capabilities, that could remove the need to involve programmers or IT in the automation of simple tasks. The cloud platform could be improved so we would be able to deploy through that with sufficient security.

On a scale from one to five where one is not stable and five is very stable, I would rate the stability of the platform as a four. It is a four because I haven't seen any outages yet but we may need more experience with the product to be sure it is totally stable when we are completely live.

We have about four people are in our organization who are currently involved in our automation program and I can see that expanding as the company improves ease-of-use.

Our team has used UiPath Academy RPA training. On a scale from one to five where one is the least beneficial and five is the most beneficial, I would rate the UiPath Academy RPA training as a five. It is very good and very detailed.

We have also used customer support and it is good. When I called in they were helpful with answering questions that I had and they responded quickly. Usually, we had one person assigned to us that kind of helped us implement and who was familiar with our needs. This helped in several cases.

I was involved in the decision process to move to UiPath. We knew that we needed an RPA solution to take care of repetitive tasks that could be automated and we had been using solutions in other departments. We went through an RFP (Request for Proposal) process when the finance senior leadership wanted to see what RPA was about and how it could help in their processing. UiPath was one of three products that made it to the next stage of evaluations for this use case.

We did simultaneously use a different solution, which was Pega. UiPath was actually already being used in the company but the idea was to expand into the finance processes.

The initial setup process was straightforward. The complexity that we met with was because of the requirements of our own company. The setup, as far as the installation, was straightforward and simple. From the time we purchased the UiPath license until we had our first robot in production was about three months.

We did use a consultant for the deployment. The company was PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers International Limited). On a scale from one to five where one is very bad and five is excellent. I would rate our experience with PwC as a three. They are not rated higher in our case because they didn't provide us with the best resources. They sent a younger team that seemed not to have really ever used UiPath.

We have only projected a total for return on investment and performance benefits from the solution through testing and past performance as we are not fully live yet. It will probably take six months to see the actual ROI when we know more about the performance benefits of full deployment. The solution has already helped to eliminate human error by about 25% and has saved our organization approximately 2,000 hours.

As far as pricing, I don't know what the company spends on the license. I do know about the robots. I think the attended robot is a little bit too pricey. With the unattended robots, we can put them on virtual machines — not really Citrix but regular virtual machines which are a little bit cheaper.

The vendors who were on our shortlist were UiPath, Pega, Automation Anywhere and Blue Prism. We chose UiPath because we already had the product in-house and we had already gone through all the security checks for the company requirements.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to five where one is very difficult and five is very easy. I would rate the ease of use of the platform as a three-out-of-five. I give it that rating rather than going a bit higher because it is a little bit difficult for the regular users to automate. In some cases, you have to be more of a programmer to automate successfully. Even so, it is better than other RPA tools.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the product over-all as an eight. It gets the job done, but there is still a lot of room for growth in the capabilities so that is why I think that eight is a justifiable rating.

The advice I would give to a colleague at another company who is researching RPA solutions is to read up on what RPA is and what it can do for your company. That is where I would start. Then try to go to as many meetups or conferences as you can to find out more about the products and how they are being used.

More UiPath reviews from users